Discuss it shouldn't happen to a plumber........but it does! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kay-jay

rant post!

today was 'one of those days'

went to change taps at a customers house. straightforward you would think?
well alarm bells should have been ringing when she said her husband (deceased) used to be a plumber and did all the house years and years ago.
first problem couldn't get the off...some kind of jointing paste had practically welded the backnuts on.had to drain system because the loft was full of junk and it would have taken hours to move enough stuff to get to the cistern to bung it and of course the gate valve was seized.

time taken to replace taps 2HOURS anyway job done big sigh of relief,thinks to myself well at least i won't get an airlock because of this handy little tip i have. smile to myself and think i should stick the tip on the plumbers forum after all i've never had an airlock since i got given the tip.

turn on mains and fill cylinder....bloody airlock! so i goes to get my rubber shower hose to connect hot to cold mains. hooked it up taps on and water everywhere cos the damn thing split.

right so off to local machine mart for some hose connectors to rig up a replacement hose for blowing out the airlock. stuck in traffic ages.
get back to customers house, turns on hot tap....bugger only working fine now cos the air had risen while i was out.

why oh why did i give customer a fixed price before hand?

bugger
rant over with! (for now):mad:

KJ

What a day!

Typical of a job when you're thinking 'will be in and out of here in no time'.

So what's this airlock tip then?

I too want to know what the airlock tip was even though it didn't work.

These jobs are unavoidable. We've all had them and will have them again. If you're established and in demand you can avoid fixed prices but if not you've just got to shoulder these ones when they come up. Treat them as an exercise for developing how you deal with a crap situation within yourself.

Easy to say - hard to do.

It happens to all of us....sometimes concurrently which is when you feel like jacking it all in. Two sh** days on the trot and I start day dreaming about becoming a banker/stuntman.

So you lost most of the day...what was the fixed price!?

I damaged a bath the other week changing some taps. New bath. Replacing row of tiles around it too. While sorthing out an airlock that occured after refilling spilled some water, damaged ceiling in floor below. Starting patching it too soon, made a hole in it. Finished the other day. Total time taken to change bath taps - maybe 7 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to it shouldn't happen to a plumber........but it does! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, We have a pretty standard gravity fed system. Two cold water and one expansion tank in the loft and vented cylinder in the airing board...
Replies
Views
U
The current setup I have in my bathroom is: hot water coming from a combo boiler supplied from the mains; cold water coming from a tank in the...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Hi guys! ok,was called to a job today,homeowner had a slight leak under his kitchen sink on Tuesday,he switched mains off overnight & replaced...
Replies
Views
Ch4 plumbing
C
S
Hi all, I hope someone can help me out here with a mystery cold tap working/not working. I have had my bathroom re-plumbed (first fix) by a pro...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, Sorry, this is a bit of a saga but I'm going to try and give all the details at the start. How it was: 2 Storey house. Boiler on ground...
Replies
Views
happyflyer
H

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock