Search the forum,

Discuss Increasing shower pressure: hot water from combo boiler, cold from loft tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

The current setup I have in my bathroom is: hot water coming from a combo boiler supplied from the mains; cold water coming from a tank in the loft (about 1m higher than the shower head). The shower is then one where there's a dial to set the temperature and a valve system behind to mix the two water feeds.

Because of this setup, the pressure from the hot water feed is higher than that from the cold water. So, to get the shower working properly (it pulses on and off otherwise) I need to have a hot tap slightly open at the same time as having a shower (thereby reducing the hot water pressure to a similar level to the cold). This makes the shower work, but at a fairly low overall pressure.

I'm interested in any recommendations people have for how to increase my shower pressure.

What I've thought of are:

1. Bypass the cold water tank altogether by directly connecting the in-out feeds, thereby effectively having 2 separate mains pressure cold water feeds for the property.

Concerns in doing this are: all the pipework from the tank onwards is used to low pressure, then suddenly getting mains pressure it may start leaking; that cold water feed also goes to my washing machine and toilet - both of which have low pressure fittings that would need replacing.

2. Extend the current mains cold water feed on to the shower, leaving the remainder of the water-tank feed in place (to the toilet, sink and washing machine). Downside to this is it will need quite a bit of tiled flooring being removed in order to get access.

Are there any things I'm overlooking? Is there some kind of power shower I can buy that would work with this combination of hot from combo boiler and cold from a tank? Is there a way of locally boosting the pressure from the water tank? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Easiest and cheapest is your first option, existing pipe work should be fine
I've done similar loads of times when installing combis, just lag your pipes in the attic when you're done

And if you need more advice, register on here, otherwise this thread will be closed

Last edited:
Please register with us to receive additional answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Increasing shower pressure: hot water from combo boiler, cold from loft tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
S
Pumps and low pressure I moved the bathroom to the back the house (next room) upstairs. I put in two pumps because low pressure water area. One for shower and one for bath. They both work intermittently and I often need to get them started with a magnet! They were new pumps. In the shower the...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock