Discuss Hot Water Tank Installation Price in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesJ

Hi, I need a new hot water tank and am wondering how much I should look to pay for one to be fitted?? So far one bloke told me £700+ and another said around £400!!!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very very difficult to answer, depends on the set up, accessability cost of the hot water storage cylinder, size of it etc.

Are you comparing like for like, £700 may incl a top of the range cylinder, £400 may be cheap shed one.

I'd get a third quote and then you'll have more idea.

Maybe the £700 has seen an issue the £400 one hasn't and when its discovered may need (quite correctly) to increase the price to resolve the issue.

You could ask how much they charge per day and this will give you an idea as to how much it should cost.

As a guide, a lower priced independent plumber will be around £150 a day, another one could be £200 or more (depends where you live and the competition in your area).

A standard indirect cylinder fitted to a vented system (vent pipe going to loft) will cost from £250 including the fittings and it takes around a day to 1 1/2 days for one person to install (or two people in a day). Non standard could easily be £400 or more and if access is difficult it could take two days for two people.

You could ask how much they charge per day and this will give you an idea as to how much it should cost.

As a guide, a lower priced independent plumber will be around £150 a day, another one could be £200 or more (depends where you live and the competition in your area).

A standard indirect cylinder fitted to a vented system (vent pipe going to loft) will cost from £250 including the fittings and it takes around a day to 1 1/2 days for one person to install (or two people in a day). Non standard could easily be £400 or more and if access is difficult it could take two days for two people.

jesus,
where do you come from?.
£250 for a day and half's work including a £160 coppercylinder??????
i am sure if there was two of us turning up for the day to change one for a measley £45 each my mate would have a good word after??????????????????

last i installed charged £400 and took half a day, i am in buisness to make money not provide public service like a bus driver does and they dont even expect tips.:D

jesus,
where do you come from?.
£250 for a day and half's work including a £160 coppercylinder??????
i am sure if there was two of us turning up for the day to change one for a measley £45 each my mate would have a good word after??????????????????

last i installed charged £400 and took half a day, i am in buisness to make money not provide public service like a bus driver does and they dont even expect tips.:D
thats exactly how i would price it on my own half a day if its all straight forwards

all depends direct would be half a day but indirect i would allow a day

4-6 hours tops for cylinder swap

yeh, could be however it may not either,

if there is any problems even draining down could take forever.

i allways allow for the day not just for how long it should take but for any prob's. allso, you may waste the rest of the day because other jobs cannot be started, any earlier = bonus.:cool:

Yeah see what your saying Redsaw, when it comes to draining down I dont even bother with DOC if it looks old. Just a towel around the Distribution pipe and cut the pipe. Then siphon with a hose. Much quicker than a DOC as well.

Why would it take two people to change a cylinder? The customer shouldn't foot the bill for two plumbers when the job only requires one.

I'd charge about £170 to change it. Probably take about 6 hours.

so you would do it for £170 all parts supplied, i have many a work for you bud?.:D

I feel a response is required!

But I'm not prepared to get into a forum fight either - so if it starts to go that way I won't respond again!!!

:)

My reply was based on experience. I changed one earlier in the year and it took a day and a couple of hours the next morning. The top of the cylinder was below the floor of the airing cupboard and the bottom of the cylinder was at waist height downstairs in a tiny cupboard. Pipes went everywhere and space was pretty restricted. It works, I see the customer most weeks and they are happy and have asked me to help with something else. But I'm not prepared to say how much I charged for labour on this job.

From memory, the cylinder cost £225, the immersion £30 and the irons etc cost around £15. Those were the costs to me. And my price of a plumbers day labour of £150 to £200 ties in with the original £400 - £700 estimate but being at the lower range.

When I was doing another totally unrelated job I saw two plumbers near "my patch" take two days to fit a cylinder so felt quite chuffed I'd done it on my own in less time.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but I generally charge £150 a day and so, yes for £170 I'd be happy.

All of you are assuming that the job is a cylinder change over, go back and read the OP's posting again, and see what he has said, would your prices be the same if it was for a HOT WATER TANK and it was an all iron job ??

Now assuming that it was an indirect copper hot water cylinder, with imperial sized tube, with the cold feed in 11/4", the gate valve was knackered and would not shut off, the CWST tank cAll of you are assuming that the job is a cylinder change over, go back and read the OP's posting again, and see what he has said, would your prices be the same if it was for a HOT WATER TANK and it was an all iron job ??

Now assuming that it was an indirect copper hot water cylinder, with imperial sized tube, with the cold feed in 11/4", the gate valve was knackered and would not shut off, the CWST tank conn had two lugs inside the connector so that you could not plug the feed off, but had to drain the CWST as well, just to throw a bit more "crap" into the works so to speak, the cylinder was full of lime scale, (needing an extra person to lift the cylinder out, and into the van) and the coil connections were opposite sides, instead of being on the same side, and also that the expansion tank had a connector with internal lugs and you had to do a partial drain down of the heating system as well

the more crap in the cylinder the better it will fetch more at the scrappies never had one i couldnt lift yet and with the price of copper at the moment its an added incentive

if you can not get a good days wages for changing a cylinder,then something is wrong,4,5,6,7 hrs.on top of that you have to pick up materials
If you are there 6 hrs are you going to dash off somewere and make up the other 2 or 3 hrs of the day to make a days wages
I hope not !!!!!

Then you have to lug the old cylinder done the scrap yard...what a bummer...do not forget you need a waste licence !!!!

i am with you, or perhaps a bit more.
where are you newbie/?
just outside london
anyone working on less than 200.00 per day is mad
did the maths before for someone but here goes
200 a day 1000 a week 52 weeks 52000
deductions 6 weeks holiday 6000
advertising 2000
diesel/road tax ins/mot 4000
tools public liability etc 1000
pension 5000
some tax and n ins ?????
leaves you with approx 2000.00 a month maybe a bit more
hardly excessive as i havnt included time spent loking at jobs you never get

A couple of other things you've forgotten that are very important, experience, knowledge, training and cost of courses.

Although, I'm not charging £200 per day, this is my goal. I know a handyman who charges £140 per day, who does a little plumbing and thinks that if you put a bigger tank in the loft it helps with water pressure!

Also, a kitchen fitter on £150 per day and sent his customer shopping for his sink waste etc.

Each job has to be looked at on a individual basis, and on a job like this I wouldnt give a fixed price because you are not aware of any complications until you start. I think its best as I do £50 1st hour £30 there after or my Day rate at £200 plus parts, which I would also expect a 15/20% markup on.

If the customer is after the cheapest let them take it because if I do the job I guarantee my work at no additional cost and am available should they experience any problems for the next twelve months. Whenever I fit new gear I take the time to complete the manufactuers extended warranties for the customers benefit. As well as explaining and labelling valves and pipework to the customer as part of my hand over.

All of you are assuming that the job is a cylinder change over, go back and read the OP's posting again, and see what he has said, would your prices be the same if it was for a HOT WATER TANK and it was an all iron job ??

Now assuming that it was an indirect copper hot water cylinder, with imperial sized tube, with the cold feed in 11/4", the gate valve was knackered and would not shut off, the CWST tank cAll of you are assuming that the job is a cylinder change over, go back and read the OP's posting again, and see what he has said, would your prices be the same if it was for a HOT WATER TANK and it was an all iron job ??

Now assuming that it was an indirect copper hot water cylinder, with imperial sized tube, with the cold feed in 11/4", the gate valve was knackered and would not shut off, the CWST tank conn had two lugs inside the connector so that you could not plug the feed off, but had to drain the CWST as well, just to throw a bit more "crap" into the works so to speak, the cylinder was full of lime scale, (needing an extra person to lift the cylinder out, and into the van) and the coil connections were opposite sides, instead of being on the same side, and also that the expansion tank had a connector with internal lugs and you had to do a partial drain down of the heating system as well

:eek::eek:
Oh,how I miss the good old days :(:)

maybe a bit of lead in there too

so you would do it for £170 all parts supplied, i have many a work for you bud?.:D

Lol, £170 labour with parts separate.
My point was it's a nice little job for one plumber. It's not a two man job so why half your earnings or expect the customer to pay extra?
There's only room for one in an airing cupboard :)

Some of you need to realise the job you are in and should sit down with a calculator. A fully qualified plumber in the south east should be charging a £30 PER hour rate minium. A gas engineer ANYWHERE in the country should be charging £30 minimum an hour. A plumber anywhere else should be £25. Im in the southeast, not counting the unexpexted(power tools giving up the ghost) nor A.C.S/course resits, £25000 labour is worth 13000 before tax. Unless your well established, which takes years, you are going to find it hard producing a living/retirement for yourself, let alone a family. Remember you have responsibillities and those of you that are gas, remember you have peoples lives in the balance, one mistake and your career, at best, could be finshed.
What do some of you call a day, I normally do 10-11 hour days on medium to big jobs. I dont know how you can do 7-8 a day when someone needs there hot water/heating on, the more hours you do the more you earn. For every 40 hours paid work I do, there is 15 -20 unpaid (successful/unsuccessful estimates, travelling etc)

Yeah I work roughly 9 hours a day unless a job runs on. I don't have set work times but I'm usually out by 8 and try and be home for 5 unless it's a big job and I'm close to finishing, in which case I'll work till done.
I work to provide for my family but it's all for nothing if I'm never home for them. There are times when the wife is in work and I have to look after the sprog so I try and tailor my work hours around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Tank Installation Price in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock