Discuss Hi and HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xengstu

Would like to say hi and thanks for the great site, its proving to be invaluable!

I have a problem, not an uncommon one by the sounds of it. I've been served notice after working for the same engineering firm for 14 years and for various reasons I've decided I need a change and want to retrain as a plumber. It’s a daunting thing to take on but I’m determined to make it work.

As a candidate for career change I think I’m in a good position. I'm very experienced in most types of engineering from the ground up having entered the profession via apprenticeship scheme. However my job has increasingly meant spending large amounts of time in the Far East having moved all our production out there. This has also meant I’m completely office bound when previously I was about 50% hands on, which is something I miss. I'm 37 with a young family, have a great work ethic and take pride in my work. In the past I’ve taken on plumbing jobs around my home and relatives homes (legally), I also specified and part designed the plumbing system in my new-build house 2 years ago.

I know the above sounds a bit like a CV but after reading on here I’ve become a little apprehensive whether I’ve made the right choice. There are some on here that are beating the doom and gloom drum with only the occasional positive poster RE: career changing. I am researching the rapid learning route into the profession and have already lined up shadowing 2 plumbers - one in the domestic side and one in the commercial side, both have gas :). I have a little bit of a financial cushion and would be looking at alternative finance for the accelerated training.

On a separate note I believe that the housing market will start to bounce back by the middle of this year and the major house builders are looking to start things rolling again. I have a relative fairly high up in one of the major housing firms and this is what he is telling me... others may beg to differ, personally I also think the recovery will start soon.

Anyway, I digress and that’s enough dribble for now. I would welcome any advice - comments.

Thanks again,

Stewart

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi stewart
welcome to the forum

yes it sounds like a cv but it looks like you have things sorted and just go for it

Thanks uug197h,

Yeah, got a bit carried away there!

I guess what I was really after was advice from the old hats about which way to go with plumbing? Is it better to work towards gas and jobs like boiler repairs/installs or concentrate on bathroom-kitchen installs etc. I'm not saying i would cherry pick and not take the rough with the smooth but if i'm studying while working I could tailor my learning if you get what i mean. I won't be ruling anything out at this stage.

BTW, I had React Fast Training phone me tonight and they tried to tell me the old C&G 6128 is better than the new C&G 6129... whats that about?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I would opt for an all round approach at the start until you find which elements you prefer and are good at. There's more money to be made as a gas installer but the upkeep of the qualifications is expensive if you're self employed.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi and HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Back