Discuss advice on what seems to be a dodgy install in rented accomidation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

g4dget

I have recently had a combi fitted in the house i rent after the original heating system (back boiler) stopped working.
unfortunatly i was working away when it was fitted and my partner was left to deal with the fitters. on my return i checked over the install and a few things just don't seem right. (i would like to point out that i have no plumbing experience so i could be wrong but....)

we had several companies quote for this work to be carried out but the actual install was carried out by the letting agents own maintenace people who i subsquently found out had subbed it on to another fitter who wasn't too sure how to fit the thing (my nextdoor neighbour heard the fitter on the phone several times confirming what he had done and the asking what he needed to do next) hence my concern

if anyone could answer the queries i have that would be ace

1.new gas pipework was fitted from the meter to the upstairs back bedroom the original pipe work that ran to the boiler ( situated in the livingroom ) was cross bonded to the water pipe that ran alongside it, the new pipework does cross the water pipe where the original cross bonding was but the cross bonding hasn't been reattached.
2. the condensator pipe?? has been vented to atmosphere (right next to the bedroom window.
3. what i assume to be some sort of vent/blow off pipework has also been vented straight to atmosphere but it is positioned directly above the back door right next to the condensator pipe.
4.apparently a flush was put in the system for 30 mins (is that long enough??
5.the flue wasn't probed to confirm the boiler was working effectivly (i was told this was required) and it is positioned less than a meter from the bedroom window and flush with the roof
6.we weren't given a new gas safety cert. no cert of installation and non of the fitters showed my partner any form of corgi/gas safe ID.

the combi fitted is a Main Combi 25 Eco Boiler

any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
A picture would be a great help large 100 mm pipe is the flue which vents to atmosphere but there are strict rules on positioning Small 15mm pipe is saftey valve which also just goes out to a safe position this pipe can release boiling water Medium pipe usually white plastic 22mm is condensate this must go to a drain soil or rainwater pipe
you should go back to the managing agent and insist on a certificate from gas safe this will be sent direct from gas safe when your installer registers the appliance and that the paper work is filled in including a gas safe registration number for the fitter that installed
i would ring gas safe and ask if a cert has been issued for your address

here's the pictures

the flexi pipe runs down the roof for about 200mm.
this roof is on the kitchen and there are a pair of patio doors directly underneath where these pipes are

Attachments

• Photo082.jpg
    Photo082.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 118
  • Photo083.jpg
    Photo083.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 116
  • Photo084.jpg
    Photo084.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 121
safety discharge pipe needs altering(copper pipe sticking out of wall)
condensation pipe should run to a drain, may need running into 1 1/2 waste pipe(stop it freezing)also cleanser needs a minium of 2hours (sentinol x400)yours would be a very dirty system so would have been better with power flush.
flue looks to close to gutter(look in installer instructions for min distances)
also check benchmark been filled in.your house insurance will be invalid if there is a claim with anything to do with boiler ie explosion,leak etc.aslo if not installed by a gas-safe engineer,also your warrenty on boiler will be invalid if benchmark not filled in,boiler registered with building control

Also looks to me the DCV is not first off the mains in and the filling loop is also connected to the flow and not the return.

Also looks to me the DCV is not first off the mains in and the filling loop is also connected to the flow and not the return.

just checked the online installation guide and it has been connected to the flow.... what does that mean??

Very bad practice.Cold water shock on a flow pipe is greater on the flow as it leaves the boiler hotter than the return,returns to the boiler if that makes sense.

the vaillants go into the flow
highly unlikely that this has been installed to spec and by a gas safe engineer
the blow off is ridiculous guess what 3 bar plus of scalding hot water will do from that pipe

condense definatly looks suspect and a bad spot to leave the blow out what amazes me is how much of a mess some people can make of a straight forward install

did he leave his horse tied to your gate? that flue looks way to close to the gutter. hard to tell from the pic but it still looks close, and the blow off and condensate. not how it should be done me thinks, is that condensate being run off in hep? pretty sure that aint allowed either.

Last edited:
the vaillants go into the flow
highly unlikely that this has been installed to spec and by a gas safe engineer
the blow off is ridiculous guess what 3 bar plus of scalding hot water will do from that pipe
you sure i thought it went into the right hand pipe which is the return

no the ecotec 831/824 it comes off the cold inlet using integrated valve and goes into the left hand pipe as you look from front so into the flow..i thought it was strange but hey ho
back to this one the prv is wrong the location of flue in relation to soffit is wrong the condensate looks wrong i bet a pound to a pinch of poo this was done illegally

Should not leave flexi connected. Should be removed and blanks put on each end. Can void your flood insurance cover if it isn't done.

unfortunately this is just one of several problems we have had with our landlord. it took him three months to replace a plate glass door inside the property, 6 months to fix a leaking roof (the house insurance wouldn't pay out cos he has claimed too many times) the original fire in the living room was condemned prior to us moving in, leaving inadequate heating downstairs (three radiators for 4 rooms, when questioned about this he commented that there is a radiator in the hallway and we should open the door so that it will heat the room!!!) the 'new' bathroom looks like it may have been fitted by the same people who fitted the boiler!! he has used to cooker main ring to power all the plugs in the kitchen.( it took us several weeks to figure out why the washing machine would only work intermittently) the patio door on the kitchen has dropped so now it jams and has fallen off once, luckily i was on the outside of the door and caught it before it smashed on the floor.

The heating is he final straw and we have been forced to envolve the local council and environmental heath as we feel he has more than enough time to sort the problems out.

Newbie is correct
i stand corrected ive only fitted about a hundred lol its probably that way to avoid the condense trap and blow out

unfortunately this is just one of several problems we have had with our landlord. it took him three months to replace a plate glass door inside the property, 6 months to fix a leaking roof (the house insurance wouldn't pay out cos he has claimed too many times) the original fire in the living room was condemned prior to us moving in, leaving inadequate heating downstairs (three radiators for 4 rooms, when questioned about this he commented that there is a radiator in the hallway and we should open the door so that it will heat the room!!!) the 'new' bathroom looks like it may have been fitted by the same people who fitted the boiler!! he has used to cooker main ring to power all the plugs in the kitchen.( it took us several weeks to figure out why the washing machine would only work intermittently) the patio door on the kitchen has dropped so now it jams and has fallen off once, luckily i was on the outside of the door and caught it before it smashed on the floor.

The heating is he final straw and we have been forced to envolve the local council and environmental heath as we feel he has more than enough time to sort the problems out.
why did you chose to move in to what was obviously a sub standard property in the first place ?

Last edited:
Ring gas safe, also you'll be wise to start looking for somewhere else.

from the look of it the boilers a main/baxi or potterton flue can go as little as 25mm from eaves ,prv is wrong,and loop should be on return the whole install looks a mess and condensate not installed to building regs

looks like a right bodge job sorry to say so, im only nvq2 but fit boilers under the watchful eye of my boss and if i left an install like that i would be sacked. very ropey install

Condensate run off looks like a washing machine waste hose to me !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice on what seems to be a dodgy install in rented accomidation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I would like to pick some of the experts brains on here if I may :wacko: I have just moved into a 2 floor, 4 bedroom house with a hot water...
Replies
Views
J
I say 'engineers' but is that actually true in the strictest sense of the word? I guess that depends on how you interpret the work of a Plumber...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
Re: Further to what boiler. It's relatively easy to weed out the snakes when you have people round to quote. Initially don't ask too many...
Replies
Views
C
Hi, I am new to the forum and hoping you can help. I have just had a new bathroom and central heating fitted. The old storage tank type heating...
Replies
Views
F
Ok here goes, any advice greatly appreciated and here’s our story… Basically moved in to new house end Jan and knew it needed new boiler (15...
Replies
Views
fletch25
F
Back