Search the forum,

Discuss Soft water and combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danmickread

Hi, i am no expert. I have some central heating knowledge, but i have bought a water softener and am reading many different articles/comments on filling your central heating system up with soft water. Some for and some against. I have a baxi duo tec 28 which has a combi care scale inhibitor on the cold feed to the boiler.
Now Firstly does the combi care do the same job as a softener or at least try to, if so that would mean the central heating and hot water would be softened or not anyway?
I bought the softener as anyone does to elimenate limescale, so i assumed i would drain down and fill the central heating system with soft water as well in order to stop limescale build up in my central heating pipes and boiler. I then read that in no instance should soft water be used to fill the central heating system up as soft water is more corrosive because of higher ph levels and increased levels of sodium, or something like that so its no good for your boiler. I then read that it is ok providing you use a corrosion inhibitor such as sentinel x100. So if i use hard water you get limescale if i use soft water i get corrossion correct? Which is worse.
What i am mainly confused about is if i install a softener but leave hard water in the central heating with inhibitors, or put soft water in the central heating with inhibitors either way soft "corrosive" water with no inhibitors will still pass through the boiler and pipes for my hot water. Is the correct?
Also inhibitors such as the sentinel are for use in indirect systems, is a combi boiler an indirect system, what does this mean?
Any help on this would be greatly apprecciated.
Thanks Dan

Hi, i am no expert. I have some central heating knowledge, but i have bought a water softener and am reading many different articles/comments on filling your central heating system up with soft water. Some for and some against. I have a baxi duo tec 28 which has a combi care scale inhibitor on the cold feed to the boiler.
Now Firstly does the combi care do the same job as a softener or at least try to, if so that would mean the central heating and hot water would be softened or not anyway?
I bought the softener as anyone does to elimenate limescale, so i assumed i would drain down and fill the central heating system with soft water as well in order to stop limescale build up in my central heating pipes and boiler. I then read that in no instance should soft water be used to fill the central heating system up as soft water is more corrosive because of higher ph levels and increased levels of sodium, or something like that so its no good for your boiler. I then read that it is ok providing you use a corrosion inhibitor such as sentinel x100. So if i use hard water you get limescale if i use soft water i get corrossion correct? Which is worse.
What i am mainly confused about is if i install a softener but leave hard water in the central heating with inhibitors, or put soft water in the central heating with inhibitors either way soft "corrosive" water with no inhibitors will still pass through the boiler and pipes for my hot water. Is the correct?
Also inhibitors such as the sentinel are for use in indirect systems, is a combi boiler an indirect system, what does this mean?
Any help on this would be greatly apprecciated.
Thanks Dan
your getting confused the water in your heating system isnt affected by lime scale its the hot water side that can scale up
all systems should use inhibitor in the heating water

The combi care does not soften the water it just stops the scale falling out,
Fitting an ion exchange softerner will give soft water, this is not a problem on the cold supply to a combi as the hot water will be produced by the secondary heat exchanger which is stainless steel.
Soft water is corrosive to aluminium, some boilers have aluminium heat exchangers in which case the manufacturers dont recomend filling primary system with soft water
If however the boiler has a stainless or copper primary heat exchanger then filling with soft water is not an issue

The combi care does not soften the water it just stops the scale falling out,
Fitting an ion exchange softerner will give soft water, this is not a problem on the cold supply to a combi as the hot water will be produced by the secondary heat exchanger which is stainless steel.
Soft water is corrosive to aluminium, some boilers have aluminium heat exchangers in which case the manufacturers dont recomend filling primary system with soft water
If however the boiler has a stainless or copper primary heat exchanger then filling with soft water is not an issue

Ok thanks, the earlier comment said that the CH isn't affected by limescale, why is this? And if so then there is no need to worry about putting soft water in the central heating system is there? There isn't soft water in it at the minute, nor prob in the majority of houses that live in hard water areas. As long as there is adequate inhibitor, it should be fine right?
One other thing isnt it everything that carrodes, not just aluminiun, for example your radiators as well thats why you get the black sludge build up in rads if no inhibitor. So on the DHW side with soft water through it doesn't that carrode pipes and fittings and stuff as well.

your getting confused the water in your heating system isnt affected by lime scale its the hot water side that can scale up
all systems should use inhibitor in the heating water

Right so hard water in the CH with inhibitor will stop all limescale build up, so its like having softwater in it anyway (in terms of no limescale) but with less corrosive properties.

Last edited by a moderator:
the water in your heating system is recirculated and is basically chemically inert with the addition of inhibitor it becomes totaly inert causing no corrosion i know of open vent systems over 30 years old that have never had inhibitor which show very little sign of corrosion its all in the design

This thread has done a Lazarus I suspect that its sorted by now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soft water and combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock