Discuss Overheating Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Apollofuzz

Hi Guys I am need of help

I have a Poterton 80e Profile boiler.
The problem is that it always overheats. Sometimes it trips the saftey but sometimes before this happens it overboils into the header tank and causes the pipes to bang (I guess due to air in the pipes and the boiling water).
My guess is that the boiler is not being told that the water in the system is hot enough, so keeps heating. I thought that the boiler heated up to a certain temperature then shut down and the hot water was pumped around the system. :confused:

The Central heating can be contolled to cut out via the room stat. we have it set so that the room temp is reached before the boiler cooks. This does mean the Rads get very hot. Its also expensive on gas :mad:

If only the Hot water is on it will boil and cut out the boiler/spill boiling water into header tank. :eek:

The motorised valves for the heating and hot water both work ok, both have new motors fitted and we have installed a new thermostat on the cylinder and a new programmer along with a new thermocouple in the boiler.

I hope this all makes sense sorry its a long post.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated

knackered boiler thermostat,gas range overset,or knackered pump you need a gsr engineer

Break it to me gently why not (lol)

We had a new pump fitted (if its pump just after the boiler before the valves) it seems to pump ok as all the rads get hot even the ones furthest away which are in the loft room. Mind you they do need bleeding often.

Do you know if there is a new like for like boiler we can swap it out for

Last edited by a moderator:
so can prob rule out pump gas burner pressure should be a quick check for someone like me stat should be easy to check as well but you do need a engineer

Mark thanks for the reply and advice.

Looks like a call out for someone next week.

I was hoping my boiler might fall into the scrappage scheme as I would Quite like to install a new one, but alas from what I have seen it does not qualify.

Thanks again

no its electronic ignition isent it?clever rules they have applied:mad:but you do have a tough reliable boiler anyway it will out live a combi stat would be best bet

Break it to me gently why not (lol)

We had a new pump fitted (if its pump just after the boiler before the valves) it seems to pump ok as all the rads get hot even the ones furthest away which are in the loft room. Mind you they do need bleeding often.

Do you know if there is a new like for like boiler we can swap it out for

You do not need a new boiler,just a new boiler thermostat
you know the control on the boiler,at the bottom on right hand side with numbers 1 to max that is the stat ,it is out of calibration,turn down for now and get replaced,problem hopefully sorted,also may require overheat stst or maybe in gravity position ,this was done sometimes if pump over run not wired in as not permenant live at boiler

The Stat is turned down to 1 already.

Can you order these through Potterton or will plumbbase or similar stock them?

I have been told before thats its a good boiler and i should keep it as long as possible

I like the fact that I am a junior member I have not been a junior of anything for a very long time

The Stat is turned down to 1 already.

Can you order these through Potterton or will plumbbase or similar stock them?

I have been told before thats its a good boiler and i should keep it as long as possible

I like the fact that I am a junior member I have not been a junior of anything for a very long time

You require a gas safe plumber as said or you could be a junior member for a short time
These boilers operate under positive pressure and need special care

Don't worry Even though I spend my day designing pipes I am not going to do it myself unfortunatley they are of the sewer type and mostly large and concrete.
Where gas is concerned I want to know its done right.
I just want to have a better understanding of potential problems and solutions so when someone does come round I can gauge if they know what they are talking about. And make sure that the parts they supply are the right ones

I plan to remain a Junior for as long as possible

Thanks for all you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Overheating Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock