Discuss New Condensing Combi Boiler Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vox

Hi,

I am getting a new condenser combi boiler fitted and have had a few quotes.

As I understand it, (and I admit am not very knowledgable in these matters!), apart from the water pipes, the boiler itself needs a flue, an outlet for condensation, and an pressure outlet.

The ideal position for the boiler is in the cupboard where the existing cylinder is - this is in the centre of the house, which isn't a problem for the flue (which can go straight up through the roof), nor the condensation pipe (which can be diverted into the bathroom next door, to join with the waste pipe from the sink) - however, it does leave a problem with the pressure pipe - which I believe should go through an outside wall?

With this problem in mind, one plumber who quoted for the job said that as long as you use a thick enough pipe, you can actually have the condensation and pressure both using the same pipe, which will join with the bathroom sink.

However, when I mentioned this to British Gas, who also gave me a (ridiculously high) quote, they said this was not possible.

So, my question is whether using the same outlet for condensation and pressure is a practical method - or should I re-think the position of the boiler, and place it on an outside wall somewhere.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Well no you can not have the presure release pipe joined to the condensate pipework,it is not to do with size
But condensate pipework has to be in plastic as condensate slightly acidic
and pressure release pipework has to be in copper due to possible high temps of water discharge
Hard to comment on ability of running p/r pipework ,without seeing lay out
Can boiler be installed in roof space,one option
The p/r pipe is only 15mm,can it not be run through bathroom or a ajoining room,even if surface,once painted ,you will not notice it

Thanks for the reply.

When I said "thick pipe", I meant that the plumber said that the pipe would have to be strong enough to cope with the high temperature of a pressure outlet.

I assume that this is not possible/practical with a plastic pipe?

There is another location that we can put the boiler which would be easier for vents and stuff, but this location was a better fit in that it would require less pipework, given that it is where the current cylinder is.

And we could give more thought to running the pressure outlet further along the bathroom to reach the outside wall.

Thanks,
Steve

where did british gas say fit boiler and run pipe?? they usually get that bit right

British Gas suggested a cupboard in the kitchen (well it was actually my suggestion, but they thought it was better!) - it would involve more pipework for the hot and cold water, but is on an outside wall, and is above a drain, so there would be no problem with the pressure and condensation output. Would not need a huge flue going through the roof either, so that is another benefit.

Sounds like I need to forget the idea of having one pipe for both, and either use the original cupboard but run a long pipe through the bathroom to the outside for the pressure, or put it in the cupboard in the kitchen (which I am now leaning more towards!).

Thanks for your help.
Steve

what your saying, this on a main 35hse boiler isnt correct then?.:eek:

Attachments

• camera pic 011.jpg
    camera pic 011.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Condensing Combi Boiler Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock