Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for guidance and help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daniel.lee

hello all, i am a 22 year old male who was made redundant just after christmas from my mechanical engineering apprenticeship. It was a NVQ4 advanced apprenticeship and i had just entered my third year (nvq3) when the company went into administration. Before this job i also had 12 months experience helping a plumber install central heating domestically. i am trained up to NVQ2 in commercial heating and ventilation systems and level 2 in basic plumbing studies.
The main problem i'm having is i'm either over-qualified or under-qualified for most plumbing/pipefitting vacancies. (over-qualified for most trainee vacancies) it has left me very bitter and alot of the time i wish i did not know anything or have any gained-qualifications as they seem to impede me if anything. I'm just not sure what route is best for me, or how to go about it the best way.
Any advice or good sources of information?

thanks in advance

If you can afford to carry on your studies as you can never have too many qualifications but as for finding work it will be difficult at the moment so my advise would be start out yourself and take on what you can and work for free with experienced guys to gain more knowledge and experience.

henno-would the ideal course be a gas course? if so, what type? yeah im going to find part-time work and do what you said about working for free with experienced guys-thanks

what you have mate are highly transferable skills,have you thought about maintenance fitter in an industrial setting, i reckon you would pick that up in no time and have a lot to pass on also. factories are powered with water,steam, pneumatic and other piped services, the rest you just pick up from others as you share knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Looking for guidance and help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Hope you are all well. My name is Henry and I am Dorset based, and looking to get into the Plumbing trade. I will have completed my Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing in August this year, and have already signed on to the Level 2 NVQ as well as my Unvented and Water Regs certs, to start after...
Replies
Views
Morning peeps, First post so don't really know how the forum works so please be gentle!!! Soon to be made redundant however have been given an unconditional offer to do level 3 diploma in gas engineering at local college starting in summer 2019. Until I start this course I have managed to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Have been following this forum for some time now which has been very helpful so, I thought I would ask for some advice on advancing a career in plumbing. I recently moved to the Cheltenham area, before that I completed a college 6129 certificate course in Wales. I struggled to...
Replies
Views
B
Hi there, I'm just trying this as a long shot but thought you have to try all avenues. I'm a fully qualified plumber Level 2 through an apprenticeship and have 1 year left on Level 3 but am now looking for an employer as my previous employer had to let me go due to lack of work. I have been...
Replies
Views
baldyb220
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock