Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie in Cheltenham looking to get gas qualified would appreciate any advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Have been following this forum for some time now which has been very helpful so, I thought I would ask for some advice on advancing a career in plumbing.

I recently moved to the Cheltenham area, before that I completed a college 6129 certificate course in Wales. I struggled to find an apprenticeship in my area and finally found one only for the company I was working for to go bankrupt a few months later. Sadly I couldn't find another apprenticeship.

Now I am living in Cheltenham I am looking to get gas qualified and eventually become a capable gas service/repair engineer. I am a very competent and mature 22 year old. What I would love some advice on is what the best route for me to get qualified. I understand further college education and experience is the proper path.

There aren't any advertised apprenticeships in my area currently but I understand hassling some companies would eventually get me somewhere.

What I would like to know is whether I am in fact better off trying to find a self employed gas engineer that would take me on with him paid/for free, whether this would be a faster route of getting valuable experience working with gas.

What my main fear is not being taught correctly and/or not being taught to a full extent required to become capable in doing gas service/repair work. To say that the company I worked for in Wales didn't leave me with much faith would be the least.

Is there anything that I should watch out for when searching and speaking with companies that may be able to take me on? Would it beneficial for me to have a CSCS card before even attempting to find an apprenticeship? Is there anything else I might want to try and achieve to assure that I am taken seriously as a candidate?

Many thanks for reading and any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jamie

Do you have plumbing experiance?
CSCS is mainly for site work

Unfortunately not very much plumbing specific experience. Only the few months I spent with the company which was mainly doing general plumbing work, the only bit of gas we did was swapping an old boiler out!

I do however have over 5 years experience working in the building game, worked across all the trades as very competent and skilled labourer. I am quite confident that I can do a lot of general plumbing work with ease.

I understand CSCS is mainly for site work, I just wondered as I'm sure most companies will want everybody CSCS registered no matter what they are doing?

Employed option is best as you will hopefully have work and support after it. Doing it yourself you will struggle to get a job without experience of about 3 years, unless the GSR who mentors you has something for you. Probably have to go self employed and build something from the ground up while learning your trade.

Get a plumbing job and see if your employer will put you through your gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie in Cheltenham looking to get gas qualified would appreciate any advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock