Discuss good pressure but poor mains flow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
At all outlets. Combi. Every tap performs like a tank-fed one with relatively decent head. But you'd never guess it was mains. My mate has a thing you attatch to a washing machine hose and it measured it at 3 bar.

Thoughts on why such unimpressive mains flow? Poor supply pipe from street? Combi prob?

Well sounds like a restriction somewhere,reducing flow rate , when you turn tap on do you get a good flow for a second or two and then dies down to the flow you describe ?

Maybe check with a neighbour and see how that is and perhaps compare to give you a better idea of what problem may be

imho

Is that 3 bar standing pressure , does it also check flow rates , most combis look for about 12ltrs at 1 bar as a rule of thumb , if you can check on this it would help , depending on where you live ie area and location like on a hill , then you have to think about where the pumping station is, to be honest 3 bar standing sounds pretty low usually between 5 and 7 where i live, ( when i was gb contracting we were not allowed to install a combi with poor flow at 1bar):)

we didn't measure flow rate, you could just see it was poor. it only measured standing pressure. i thought 3 bar was standard standing pressure? am i thinking of 3 bar working pressure then?

been asked to fit a bar mixer shower which requires .5 bar minimum which is why we checked. is it going to work do you think? what would 3 bar standing equate to in working?

It doesn,t equate to anything , you could have as little as 0.5 at 12lts or as much as 1 you really need to check it, if your gauge dont do it try a combi cup possibly but it will only tell you flow not pressure:p

I think when you say the pressure is reading 3bar, this is the static pressure and not the flow rate.

3 bar is fine for pressure. You probably have a 1/2" lead main and it is crushed that is the usual.

If however you have a decent size main coming into the house it must be obstructed in someway no question with 3 bar it would be unusual if 3 bar didn't deliver 20 -25 litres per minute at least.

good pressure does not always mean good flow. imagine a high pressure and a very small pipe, alternatively a small pressure and very large bore pipe. my guess would be a restriction or small lead main

Have you checked that the stop taps - including the water companies - are full open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to good pressure but poor mains flow? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
I have just replaced the old bathroom basin mono mixer taps, 2 tap heads, standard compression valve type, to a modern mono mixer single lever...
Replies
Views
I'm in the process of refurbishing my bathroom. I'll be replacing the existing bath with a walk in shower. Will be installing a thermostatic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just checking I'm not talking rot. Today I visited a house with a Baxi 228 combi boiler. The technical spec for the DHW output is shown in...
Replies
Views
Back