Discuss Dirty Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stgiles

Hi,
I hope someone can shed some light on this one.
The hot water thats coming from both the basin and the bath taps has a horrible yellow tint to it, only really started today. However the hot water in the kitchen downstairs is ok.
I have an indirect cylinder and a gravity fed boiler. I have checked the water in the loft tank and there is quite a bit of what looks like sand in the bottom but the water is clear.
I was wondering wether the coil in the cylinder might have cracked, What do you think?.

Is it a primatic cylinder? if so you have an air gap that seperates your heating and hot water(Not a coil) if this has popped your heating water will be getting in to your hot water!Has the system been drained down and filled back up recently if so the air gap may be taking its time to re establish itself!is your header tank galve steel or plastic?

is your small tank constantly filling?? has you cwst been disturbed recently??

Is it a primatic cylinder? if so you have an air gap that seperates your heating and hot water(Not a coil) if this has popped your heating water will be getting in to your hot water!Has the system been drained down and filled back up recently if so the air gap may be taking its time to re establish itself!is your header tank galve steel or plastic?

If it's not a primatic cylinder sounds like itis the coil if so new cylinder I'm afraid

It is a indirect cylinder. The loft tank has only been disturbed by having a new fov fitted so i know its not that. Does sound like the coil then. Thanks for all your replies. But why is the kitchen tap ok as it is fed from the same supply??

is your small tank positioned higher than the cwst in the roof space

You sure its indirect?If you only have one header tank its def a primatic??
With regards to the kitchen tap not being affected,if its newer than the bathroom ones it could have a built in strainer which would eradicate most of the inpurity from the heating water...!

Definitely indirect, i have a cwst and a expansion tank in the loft.

Hmm!

Usually, unless the main storage tank (cistern) and expansion (cistern) tank are both on the same level, if the coil is leaking the overflow usually starts going on the lowest tank.
Sand in the storage tank could be from the water companies filters. If so, it could simply be that they have been washing or working on the water works filters and a bit of its come loose and flushed through the mains.

I would wait and see if it clears up, before spending out on a new cylinder. Keep an eye out for any other colour changes such as black magnetite or red oxides coming through which may indicate the coil has gone.

Or the system has boiled of late and stirred up sediment in cylider and put it in suspension perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dirty Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock