Discuss Backflow problems with mixer taps/showers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would look at balacing your mixer shower properly while your at it, as the cold water into your shower should come from your large cold water tank and not fed directly from your mains. What colour is the water in your large tank i.e is it brown/reddish, as this could indicate you have a leak in your cylinder coil.

Fortunately the colour is clear, so am hoping its not the coil, and will be resolved by the balancing.

The plumber is switching the cold supply from mains to tank tomorrow, so fingers crossed...

If you want to check for a leak the coil have a look at the hot water is it clear or slightly yellowish? If yellowish could be a coil leak. Lowering the pressure to .9 bar is still 9m of head so water can still make it's way up to the tank. I would say it's a mixer passing on tap or shower have you seen the secondry nrv it might not realy be there. Wouldn't think it was the coil remember water always finds it's own level unless it is a sealed heating system and vented hot water. When you say water in the cistern is warm this will be due to expansion and lite warm water riseing above the heavier cold water. Hope this helps.

Thanks for everyone's help, we have now finally nailed this problem!

Our plumber balanced to system by connecting all mixer taps/showers to the cold water tank feed as opposed to the mains water feed. Apparently the balanced feed pipe had been capped by a previous plumber, and this was hidden under floorboards near the bathroom. So he reconnected this, and just left the mains water supplying the kitchen taps and washing machine.

Just a quick 'thank you' to participants in this thread. I had the same problem with my elderly mother's "Aquability" shower. They finally came out and fitted a new non-return valve and a pressure reducer on the mains feed. But why the over-engineering? Why not use the balanced cold feed from the header tank in the first place? Do they just not like going into lofts because there might be spiders up there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Backflow problems with mixer taps/showers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock