Search the forum,

Discuss Automatic flushing syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plum Bob 66

Good Morning All

Just undertook some work at my local village hall. The flushing had stopped on the mens three trap urinal. Bearing in mind this was the first time I have ever done any work on one of these so I would be grateful if you could give me a brief synopsis of how this automatic syphon works (see picture). The cistern is fed via a conventional type tap with air gap feeding through a whole in the top. The tap seems to have some type of anti tamper arrangement and was only dripping into the cistern,is this correct?

Any info would be appreciated, Bob

IMG_0806.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 115
The tap dripping used to be the normal way of filling these cisterns but it is a requirement that some sort of control is fitted now. A common one is a cistermiser. The cistern slowly fills and when it reaches above the top of the auto syphon the pressure pushed the water through it and the syphonic action empties the cistern. If it's stopped working it has probably split somewhere. Just fit a new one.

Also it is important that the flush pipe to the urinals is reduced where it connects to the syphon. Mike is right cistermiser is the usual control, there are a few variations. If I remember right many places say you must fit them so check it out. They usually work off the cold supply to the washbasins. They sense a pressure drop in their inlet if somebody turns the taps on and so it opens up the valve to fill the cistern as it figures out somebody washing their hands has probably used the urinal. But as I said there are plenty of variations. They are expensive as well.

The cistermiser's we fit are battery or mains operated and have an ir detector constantly monitoring the area in front of the urinals. The smart box opens a solenoid long enough to fill the cistern for a flush. Settings can be dictated by the installer from fill duration to length of time after motion detected to a flush to regularity of cleansing flushes during periods of no use.

Seems like a no brainer to me!

IR ones are better as it makes up for the 'don't wash hands brigade'

Thanks Mike

Thats the explanation I required, straight to the point understand now, new one ordered many thanks.

Bob

IR ones are better as it makes up for the 'don't wash hands brigade'

How does that work then?

I never realised things were so high tech until I read croppie's post - adding an audio message to the sequence asking people to wash their hands would be good. With an IR detector over the basins so that if they don't another message gets put out on the PA: "The dirty b******d just leaving the Gents toilets failed to wash his hands!"

Hmm! I think you can get them that do give a wash hands reminder. I know the IR taps are seen in quite a few places now. The idea has been out for years but I think it was simply to expensive for most people to use. I want to know when are they going to do something about the design of sanitary ware and ways to keep them clean in public toilets. Also it seems years since I have been in a public toilet that is properly vented or the auto cistern flushes. Many feel like the air is about to crawl down your throat and you give you a dose of something unpleasant. And as to the bogs well!!!

The ir taps are fun when you're wearing a hi-vis. Caught me out once when I went for a wee. Didn't realise the reflective strip sets em off. I was scratching me head for more than a few minutes at that one!

Hmm! I think you can get them that do give a wash hands reminder. I know the IR taps are seen in quite a few places now. The idea has been out for years but I think it was simply to expensive for most people to use. I want to know when are they going to do something about the design of sanitary ware and ways to keep them clean in public toilets. Also it seems years since I have been in a public toilet that is properly vented or the auto cistern flushes. Many feel like the air is about to crawl down your throat and you give you a dose of something unpleasant. And as to the bogs well!!!

Most places have found the ultimate solution: they just don't provide toilets.

What some people get up to in public toilets never ceases to amaze me - it must take a lot of dedicated practice to get a toilet in such a state.

They need to design them so that cleaners can go in wearing one-piece suites brandishing jet washers.

There should be LAVBO's, i.e. if you get caught making a mess of a public toilet you get banned for 12 months!

Most places have found the ultimate solution: they just don't provide toilets.

What some people get up to in public toilets never ceases to amaze me - it must take a lot of dedicated practice to get a toilet in such a state.

They need to design them so that cleaners can go in wearing one-piece suites brandishing jet washers.

There should be LAVBO's, i.e. if you get caught making a mess of a public toilet you get banned for 12 months!

Sorry to bring up the old thread but does the valve above have an internal overflow? It says on the box to check the instructions but I cannot find it for xxxx

no over flow other than the syphon which flushes when the water gets to the top ive seen one overflowing when the plastic pet cocok failed and was filling faster than it could flush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Automatic flushing syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I have been dealing with this problem for over a year and finally have to ask for some help as backflushing every 2 weeks or so is getting very tiresome. I live in a 60's flat (3 flats per side of the block so 6 flats in all) with two overhead water tanks in a tankhouse on the flat roof for...
Replies
Views
The other day I tried flushing one of the toilets in our house, but the handle went straight down and I heard the sound of plastic breaking. Part of the 3 piece cistern had somehow become detached from a groove lock holding it in place. The action of turning the flush handle sharply managed to...
Replies
Views
My house has consistently been plagued by leaky dual action cisterns since I bought it. The fact that the cisterns are firmly hidden away behind plasterboard walls with nothing but a small access hole where the faceplate of the cistern is located has never helped. I have finally taken the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
This maybe isn't so much about asking for advice as giving it 🤔 I had a leaking HW cylinder (23 years old) that I got fed up patching up with plumbers gold 🤣 - so decided to replace it and do some remodelling of the plumbing in the airing cupboard while it was all pulled out. before, during, &...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock