Search the forum,

Discuss What make/ model of boiler would you recommend? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nuclearfusion

Currently have a baxi Bermuda 552 back boiler and gas fire front.
It's 35 years old so think it’s time to change it :rolleyes:
Decided to go for a combi and place it in the loft for ease of fitting the flue out through tiled roof and condensate pipe into outside gutter. The airing cupboard in the room directly below holds the hot water cylinder for the existing system with most of the pipe work I will need. The only downside will be getting a 22mm pipe from the garage to the loft through the house.
My question is what make/type/model of boiler would you recommend? Taking reliability and ease of installation into account.
Would rather pay that bit extra if need be to get something reliable
The size of boiler I will look at once I have decided on a manufacturer and type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why a 22mm pipe from garage ?
As for make of boiler I would ask your local guys as all areas have there favourites. One mans meat is another mans poison and all that ....

Last edited:
why dont you put the combi in the cupboard where the cylinder is at the moment, as you are relocating the boiler you might be able to use the exemption criteria and fit a standard efficiency instead of High efficiency which will take care of the condensate route prob if the cupboard isnt near a drain, (i can hear the tut tuts from the tree huggers from here:D) a loft install isnt as simple as you think, there are requirements for flooring, lighting, hand rails, you say condensate can go in gutter, is the gutter plastic or cast iron (not a good idea if cast)

rehema system boiler for me might be better to run condense internal down through the airing cupboard gas from garage up the outside wall in through the eaves if its a 28kw or more you may need 28mm

My son had his new Remeha boiler put in the airing cupboard in the bedroom. The condensate pipe went up into the loft, using a pump, and then across to connect to the stack pipe.

why dont you put the combi in the cupboard where the cylinder is at the moment, as you are relocating the boiler you might be able to use the exemption criteria and fit a standard efficiency instead of High efficiency which will take care of the condensate route prob if the cupboard isnt near a drain, (i can hear the tut tuts from the tree huggers from here:D) a loft install isnt as simple as you think, there are requirements for flooring, lighting, hand rails, you say condensate can go in gutter, is the gutter plastic or cast iron (not a good idea if cast)
I thought putting the boiler in the loft would free up space in the house, the cupboard can be used for storage and any valves/ controls required for the boiler. My loft is 100% boarded out also as permanent switched lighting and pull down loft ladder, so feel I meet that requirement, bit of luck there.
The advantage of loft installation to me also means the flue installation will be easier being just under the tiled house roof. There is a brick gable end to mount the boiler on and a short run of plastic pipe with fall will get me to the plastic gutter outside.
I will get a plumber (gas safe) but plan to do as much of the installation as possible myself. I am an electrician and part of my apprentership was installation of different types of pipe work, so feel I am competent enough to do most of the installation. I have infact installed a central heating system once in a house I had years ago. Just saying this because I have joined forums in the past and sometimes asking questions just for reassurance, they do say "if in doubt ask", you get blasted my some forum members hopefully not here with replies like this to your questions : "GET A PLUMBER :mad:" I have answered questions in forums as an electrician, because I feel if you don't they might go ahead anyway and do it wrong with the consquences that follow.
Anyway look forward to replies about boiler recommendations and if anybody can still see any problems with my planned boiler in the loft installation.

Worcester for me.
Thanks have looked at website will stick on list. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
stick with the baxi back boiler ,they run for ever,
its lasted 35years ,you would have changed a combi at least 2 times in that timescale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What make/ model of boiler would you recommend? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock