Search the forum,

Discuss Water from Basin coming up Through Shower Waste - Confused!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bridcat

Hi

I posted here a few weeks ago - and thanks for all comments. However, problem still exists & I've had two 'different quotes' in relation to work - & am even more confused now!

1st: 'Disconnect & cap off existing wash basin waste (currently teeing into shower waste.) Supply & install new waste pipe from wash basin terminating in new pan connector, complete with waste outlet on toilet. Adapt pipework where required. Test, make good & clear waste from site.....£174 plus VAT

2nd: 'Cut out section of blocked waste pipe from basin and shower & try & clean with spring & wire. Reassemble & seal, flush plunge & check that water is flowing away satisfactorily'......£116.32 ('If the above action does not cure problem, then more work will be needed removing the pipe outside the property.')

1st. also invoiced for 'Attend to report of blockage. Flush through with chemical cleaner. Flush till clear'......£83.31 (which I have paid.)

Just wondering which advice/ job I should go with?? any help/ advice would be much appreciated.
(I am a single older female & have no knowledge of plumbing!!)

Many thanks

Marian

Go for the first, replace and change the waste, they shouldn't have been joined together anyway.

i wouldnt go with the first one as they are not doing any work to the shower waste which could be the problem - and they have charged a lot for what they have done so far imo.

the second looks like they they are going to at least check the shower waste. Which imo shouldnt really matter if the basin waste is teed into the run to the stack as long as the shower waste is inch and a half or above.

sound to me the shower waste isnt on a fall to the stack and the basin water is running towards the shower instead of towards the stack. which could be a a pain in the bum depending how high the shower tray is and how low the boss is cut into the stack.

Last edited by a moderator:
If theres enough waste pipe under shower tray, you need bout 12 inches just cut pipe and fit a hep vo valve about £18 from plumbers merchant job done...

Not possible to advise on a forum. It could be a number of things there is clearly a problem with the shower waste after the basin tee to the main stack. It could even be the tee is the wrong way round. How fast does the shower drain away? Can you leave the shower on without the tray filling up?

why shouldnt they of been joined together ?

Because if you join them together and one blocks then you get all sorts of crud in your shower tray.

You could fit a HepVo trap, this would cure your problem but I have had problems when these have been fitted on a shower, not enought water going thru to clean the flappy flaps.

well ive always run the basin waste into the waste pipe the shower is using if run directly below the basin - i certainly wouldnt run the basin waste above it it would look unsightly and imo if the wastes are installed correctly with the right fall and supports then it shoudnt be a problem.

Many thanks to all for taking the trouble to assist. However, am even more confused now....as third plumber has said he would cut outside pipe & clean out blockage that way!!!!!

Now - who do I go with????
Thanks again.

there must be a blockage and water will try to find its own level, if its going down the soil stack you wouldnt get and water backing up.
but its going the only way it can and thats back up, so clear the stack or the mains and it wont back up into the shower

if for instance the shower outlet (which i know its not) was the same hight as the basin outlet the water will rise the same hight in both
so as the shower tray is low the water will be at the same hight elsewhere in the waste system. get it ?

depends where the blockage is - youve called three plumbers out now - tell them you want the problem fixed - not what theyre going to do - pay them for fixing the problem that way your not going to be paying for something that hasnt fixed the problem - they know better than us on here as theyve seen the job - the blockage may be outside in the stack but without access points the only way to find out is to cut into the pipe - if the shower is running away properly - then the problem is with the pipework running from basin to the shower (the fall the wrong way most probably - if both the basin and the shower is having problems draining then the problem is with either the waste from the shower to the stack or the stack itself - if there is a downstairs toilet and that is blocking up the problem is with the stack to main sewerage - as you can see its a difficult situation to solve over the internet - but let them actually do some work on it to investigate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Moony.....

for all your advice/ help with this - much appreciated!!

Basin runs away very quickly - & whilst water is running there - no probs. However, only when a full sink is drained away - 'water comes up through shower waste.'

Loo flushing has no problems. (No downstairs loo.)

The shower drains away okay; however, I know 'shower water' comes through slowly. If a bucket of water is quickly poured down shower waste....it is a bit slow to leave tray.

(I have lived here 11 years & have never had this problem before.) So, despite 'bad practice' with 'teeing' etc. (Carried out about 15 yrs. ago,) it's been no problem till now. So, can only assume there's still a blockage somewhere causing this.

A friend recommended a 4th. plumber...who will get in touch soon!!

However, I like your advice: 'Pay for fixing it.'

Many thanks.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water from Basin coming up Through Shower Waste - Confused!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock