Search the forum,

Discuss THE Quit Smoking Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped 8 years ago I was a 20 a day but stopped when we had wee girl didn't want to have me stinking of gags holding her

Its 2 weeks since me last *** now, still ok but keep dreaming about smoking and waking up actually believing i've smoked.
Beer is tasting much better, just gotta keep an eye on that one or i'll end up a real F/B.

Its 2 weeks since me last *** now, still ok but keep dreaming about smoking and waking up actually believing i've smoked.
Beer is tasting much better, just gotta keep an eye on that one or i'll end up a real F/B.

Well done Ian that takes some real will power so nice one and keep at it, and can you please point when you mention F/B as some of us may get confused!!!!!!!!!!!

Progress report, just gone over the 3 months mark but still think about smoking every day, then again its been part of me life fer the past 35 years so it aint going away anytime soon i suppose.

Well done, Ian10261 - I heard it takes one month for every year to get over it properly. From experience I can tell you that if you try another now it will nearly make you sick.

Hope it continues to go well. Won't be too long though until you realise that yesterday you never thought once about it!!

Cheers, its nice sometimes to hear a word of support. One thing i made a point of when i packed it in was to tell as many folk as possible which then put the onus on me to see it through or face a sheer wall of barracking if i slipped.

well impressed with yer staying power Ian, as a bit of encouregment have worked out how much money you have saved since giving up?

I smoked from the age of 13 until 49, reached a peak of 60-80 a day, then 12 days before my 50th birthday I had a massive heart attack at work. Fortunately I was just round the corner from a great hospital, did everything they had to, got my wife there, then doctor explained that I was going to die unless i was given a clot busting drug, looking at my wifes face when told i was going to die makes you realise whats important in life, my kids were at grandparents crying all night because as far as they were concerned I was not coming home. Obviously I had the drugs (worked a treat because I'm writing this) I gave up smoking there and then + they would'nt let me smoke in the coronary care ward. and after a forced 6months off work (the only time ever) plus rehabilitation its easy not to smoke now. I do know though I could just go and have a *** even now, I just think of my wife and kids faces.
So for all who want to stop and think they cant, just take a minute to look at the wife and kids and see what they would do without you.

well impressed with yer staying power Ian, as a bit of encouregment have worked out how much money you have saved since giving up?

Not saved as much as you might think, i used to smoke roll ups and went through probably one 50gram pouch a week, so i suppose i've saved about £150 to date, still not bad.

Used to smoke 60 a day and maybe 80 if out on a fri or sat

Gave up twice,once when my youngest was born,lasted five years but every day, wanted a cigarette ,started again xmas time,offered and smoked a cigar,ended up on 40 hamlet a day!,before going back to ****,when I got to fourty,thought ,had a good run,been smoking since 15 and could only see really bad ill health following, so gave up and after a while,never wanted a cigarette and now would not dream of it,years later
But when I gave up,although not ment to,had about three patches on 24 hrs a day,they burned into my skin!! but ends justify the means

Now times have changed,smoking is very anti social and a lot more encouragement around,not least,the money you save,even towards the end of the time I smoked,I used to hate the amount of tax I was paying through smoking
anyway ,a few pointers

never give up new year,or a birthday or even a week on thursday,first of all get into the frame of mind to give up,when I gave up ,it was about 4 weeks after I decided to,everyday and every cigarette I would say to myself,I am going to give up,then one the day I just was ready,well ,as ready as could be

It is not easy,I used patches,did not like gum,find you are replacing one habit for another,smokers are usually habitual people,try not to move straight into habit,ie eating,drinking,chewing gum

If you weaken and have a cigarette,try not to smoke it all,if you do, not to worry,it does not mean you have failed giving up and have to rush to the shop and but a 200 carton

Do get yourself to the dentist,smoking kills good and bad bacteria in your mouth and becomes your protection,when you stop smoking bad bacteria or infection can take hold before any natural protection takes hold,so get cleaned and over clean teeth

Some people put the money they save away and treat them selves when it builds up,however often it gets used on other thing,especially if you have a family,however do write down and keep a record of how much you have not spend on **** and look around and see what you have been able to buy instead

Last but not least ,remember you will never be a non smoker,you will just be a smoker who has not had a cigarette for a long time,be it 1 week,6 months or 10 years,once the cold sweats have finished,complacency will become the big danger

great advice, the worry is last paragraph. a smoker who's not had a ***. i really wouldnt want to spend my life as you did, wanting one every day. thats torture!

I tried to give up for years using various methods, cold turkey patches gum spray you name it, failed every time! Tried champix 13 months ago and have not smoked since! They are amazing and had no side effects at all with me! :cool3:

I stopped the **** on Monday but today, instead of coring through the wall as normal with the drill and core bit, I chewed through it with my bear teeth. That is exactly how I felt at the time as the natural stone wall were like granite and took more of my patience than my effort I will admit.
Still not had one but chilled with a beer after a shower dying for a ***

I just stopped four months ago.
Never looked back.
Don't hate me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont know how you afford to buy **** ect, price alone would stop me smokeing !!

Had a hard shift today and nearly caved but managed with a gallon of gum and and no chance of a *** as the nearest village was miles away.

whats happened to all the non smokers I am still gasping

Bought an electronic cigarette last week. Not smoked a *** since.

du8yvyby.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Bought an electronic cigarette last week. Not smoked a *** since...

I've not smoked since I bought a new camera (mind you, that was the incentive for not smoking.

It's taken me a month to get over the worst of the cravings but I still think about it about every 2 hours or so.

Young smokers, beware! I was warned when in my young 20's that it's much easier to stop then than when in your 50's. I've heard it takes one month per year of smoking to lose the cravings totally, so only about 29 months to go now.

All this talk of abstaining ... I stopped a while back for 4 months but got going again.

Walking from my office to the smoking shelter is the only exercise I get, so I reckon its the healthy option!

whats happened to all the non smokers I am still gasping

I gave up 30 years ago having smoked 40 a day since the age of 15.

It does get easier as time goes on - I used to keep telling myself that I didn't need ****, and kept reminding myself that every day without a *** was another day of achievement.

I'm doing stoptober, anyone else thinking of trying?
I am having dental implants fitted in a couple of months and they need to do a bone graft first. The surgical chap at the dental hospital has told me that if I don't stop smoking the chances of success are halved! So definitely giving up.

I'm doing stoptober, anyone else thinking of trying?
I am having dental implants fitted in a couple of months and they need to do a bone graft first. The surgical chap at the dental hospital has told me that if I don't stop smoking the chances of success are halved! So definitely giving up.

Got a mate having the same thing done, he got told to quit or they won't do it as its got a 90% failure rate in smokers!

Get on the champix that's how I quit about 1.5 years ago!

I tried to give up for years using various methods, cold turkey patches gum spray you name it, failed every time! Tried champix 13 months ago and have not smoked since! They are amazing and had no side effects at all with me! :cool3:

Same here, gave up (20 a day) using champix about 2 weeks ago, feel much better for it. I actually enjoyed taking the tablets.

Same here, gave up (20 a day) using champix about 2 weeks ago, feel much better for it. I actually enjoyed taking the tablets.

Finish the whole course I know people who didn't and started smoking again!

You can try the e-cigarette. You get the feeling and flavor of the real thing without the nicotine.

Finish the whole course I know people who didn't and started smoking again!

Reminded me of the old saying: "Giving up smoking is easy, I've done it dozens of times!"

Like any addiction, the chemical side is the easiest to deal with, it's the psychological dependency that leads to relapse.

Reminded me of the old saying: "Giving up smoking is easy, I've done it dozens of times!"

Like any addiction, the chemical side is the easiest to deal with, it the psychological dependency that leads to relapse.

A year and a half later and I could still relapse I wont because I have come too far to go back! Every new situation without cigarettes is a new battle! Just got back off holiday the first 3time days killed me but then it was easy!

Stopped 5/6 months ago now with the cheap version of what Kay jay has after seeing the o/h nan die of copd and spend her last 12 month doing nothing cos she couldn't breath really made my mind up, it's about getting the reason to quit you have to get ur mind right then it's easier

sent from my annoying box

Last edited by a moderator:
A year and a half later and I could still relapse I wont because I have come too far to go back! Every new situation without cigarettes is a new battle! Just got back off holiday the first 3time days killed me but then it was easy!

I gave up 30 years ago, and in the main never think about cigarettes now, but something happened a few weeks ago, and just for a moment I thought: "mmm ... wouldn't a smoke be nice!" Not that I was at any risk of lighting up, it was just a gut reaction to a certain event. Apart from the health issues they are a ridiculous price these days.

Strange how puffing on a cigarette can be so comforting though.

I have noticed that 90% of the people I know that have given up smoking have put on extra weight - there's always a challenge around somewhere! lol

Even though I've been a non-smoker for a long time, I hate the social ostracism that's been applied to pressurise people into stopping. The same tactics are now being used on people who are overweight.

Just as well reincarnate Hitler and let him run the ruddy country!

Strange how puffing on a cigarette can be so comforting though.

I have noticed that 90% of the people I know that have given up smoking have put on extra weight - there's always a challenge around somewhere! lol

Here is something interesting from wikipedia about the effects of nicotine on the brain.

Nicotine is both a stimulant and a relaxant.First causing a release of glucose and adrenaline, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness. By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.

When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine-rich blood passes from the lungs to the brain within seven seconds and immediately stimulates the release of many chemical messengers such as neurotransmitters and hormones. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration and memory . It also appears to enhance alertness . Arousal is increased. Pain is reduced. Anxiety is reduced. Nicotine also extends the duration of positive effects of dopamine and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems.

Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 1 to 3 milligrams of nicotine. The nicotine content of popular cigarettes has slowly increased over the years, and one study found that there was an average increase of 1.6% per year between the years of 1998 and 2005. This was found for all major market categories of cigarettes.

Here is something interesting from wikipedia about the effects of nicotine on the brain.

Nicotine is both a stimulant and a relaxant.First causing a release of glucose and adrenaline, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness. By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.

When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine-rich blood passes from the lungs to the brain within seven seconds and immediately stimulates the release of many chemical messengers such as neurotransmitters and hormones. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration and memory . It also appears to enhance alertness . Arousal is increased. Pain is reduced. Anxiety is reduced. Nicotine also extends the duration of positive effects of dopamine and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems.

Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 1 to 3 milligrams of nicotine. The nicotine content of popular cigarettes has slowly increased over the years, and one study found that there was an average increase of 1.6% per year between the years of 1998 and 2005. This was found for all major market categories of cigarettes.

That's the best advert for **** I've seen for a long time! :tounge_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to THE Quit Smoking Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock