Discuss THE Quit Smoking Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave up 4 days ago for the 4000000 time!!!! I'm hoping this will be the final time.

Yea used to smoke 30 a days been stopped 5 years now best thing i ever done !!!!!if you try to stop just keep at it had tried about 6 times before getting there !!!!

i am doing me best it killed my grandad at a young age 58 lung cancer brought on by falling off a telegraph pole (bt engineer)

Gave it up 6 days ago, deliberately picked a day i knew would be relatively stress free and used them nicotine patches. So far so good, even at the pub. the real test comes tomorrow, got a really nasty boiler swap and awkward rads add to the system. Also working with another plumber who smokes like the proverbial and can sometimes really test me patience......wish me luck !!

Gave it up 6 days ago, deliberately picked a day i knew would be relatively stress free and used them nicotine patches. So far so good, even at the pub. the real test comes tomorrow, got a really nasty boiler swap and awkward rads add to the system. Also working with another plumber who smokes like the proverbial and can sometimes really test me patience......wish me luck !!

Good luck ian10261 I wish I had never started as I can feel the difference on my body and I have only been smoking 5 years, so stick at at, and when you see yer mate smoking just keep a mental picture in your mind of all the black tar that is collecting in yer mates lungs.

I stopped 8 years ago I was a 20 a day but stopped when we had wee girl didn't want to have me stinking of gags holding her

Its 2 weeks since me last *** now, still ok but keep dreaming about smoking and waking up actually believing i've smoked.
Beer is tasting much better, just gotta keep an eye on that one or i'll end up a real F/B.

Its 2 weeks since me last *** now, still ok but keep dreaming about smoking and waking up actually believing i've smoked.
Beer is tasting much better, just gotta keep an eye on that one or i'll end up a real F/B.

Well done Ian that takes some real will power so nice one and keep at it, and can you please point when you mention F/B as some of us may get confused!!!!!!!!!!!

Progress report, just gone over the 3 months mark but still think about smoking every day, then again its been part of me life fer the past 35 years so it aint going away anytime soon i suppose.

Well done, Ian10261 - I heard it takes one month for every year to get over it properly. From experience I can tell you that if you try another now it will nearly make you sick.

Hope it continues to go well. Won't be too long though until you realise that yesterday you never thought once about it!!

Cheers, its nice sometimes to hear a word of support. One thing i made a point of when i packed it in was to tell as many folk as possible which then put the onus on me to see it through or face a sheer wall of barracking if i slipped.

well impressed with yer staying power Ian, as a bit of encouregment have worked out how much money you have saved since giving up?

I smoked from the age of 13 until 49, reached a peak of 60-80 a day, then 12 days before my 50th birthday I had a massive heart attack at work. Fortunately I was just round the corner from a great hospital, did everything they had to, got my wife there, then doctor explained that I was going to die unless i was given a clot busting drug, looking at my wifes face when told i was going to die makes you realise whats important in life, my kids were at grandparents crying all night because as far as they were concerned I was not coming home. Obviously I had the drugs (worked a treat because I'm writing this) I gave up smoking there and then + they would'nt let me smoke in the coronary care ward. and after a forced 6months off work (the only time ever) plus rehabilitation its easy not to smoke now. I do know though I could just go and have a *** even now, I just think of my wife and kids faces.
So for all who want to stop and think they cant, just take a minute to look at the wife and kids and see what they would do without you.

well impressed with yer staying power Ian, as a bit of encouregment have worked out how much money you have saved since giving up?

Not saved as much as you might think, i used to smoke roll ups and went through probably one 50gram pouch a week, so i suppose i've saved about £150 to date, still not bad.

Used to smoke 60 a day and maybe 80 if out on a fri or sat

Gave up twice,once when my youngest was born,lasted five years but every day, wanted a cigarette ,started again xmas time,offered and smoked a cigar,ended up on 40 hamlet a day!,before going back to ****,when I got to fourty,thought ,had a good run,been smoking since 15 and could only see really bad ill health following, so gave up and after a while,never wanted a cigarette and now would not dream of it,years later
But when I gave up,although not ment to,had about three patches on 24 hrs a day,they burned into my skin!! but ends justify the means

Now times have changed,smoking is very anti social and a lot more encouragement around,not least,the money you save,even towards the end of the time I smoked,I used to hate the amount of tax I was paying through smoking
anyway ,a few pointers

never give up new year,or a birthday or even a week on thursday,first of all get into the frame of mind to give up,when I gave up ,it was about 4 weeks after I decided to,everyday and every cigarette I would say to myself,I am going to give up,then one the day I just was ready,well ,as ready as could be

It is not easy,I used patches,did not like gum,find you are replacing one habit for another,smokers are usually habitual people,try not to move straight into habit,ie eating,drinking,chewing gum

If you weaken and have a cigarette,try not to smoke it all,if you do, not to worry,it does not mean you have failed giving up and have to rush to the shop and but a 200 carton

Do get yourself to the dentist,smoking kills good and bad bacteria in your mouth and becomes your protection,when you stop smoking bad bacteria or infection can take hold before any natural protection takes hold,so get cleaned and over clean teeth

Some people put the money they save away and treat them selves when it builds up,however often it gets used on other thing,especially if you have a family,however do write down and keep a record of how much you have not spend on **** and look around and see what you have been able to buy instead

Last but not least ,remember you will never be a non smoker,you will just be a smoker who has not had a cigarette for a long time,be it 1 week,6 months or 10 years,once the cold sweats have finished,complacency will become the big danger

great advice, the worry is last paragraph. a smoker who's not had a ***. i really wouldnt want to spend my life as you did, wanting one every day. thats torture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to THE Quit Smoking Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back