Currently reading:
need help from self employed plumbers and comapnys please

Discuss need help from self employed plumbers and comapnys please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ashley1991

hey
i know this may be better suited to the qualifications section but im brand new and in desperate need of help.

ok if you was looking to hire a apprentice which would you prefer, a btec level 1 in contruction OR would you prefer someone with a years experiance working with a bathroom fitter doing plumbing,tiling,roofing,flooring and some times kitchens and bedrooms??

i am asking because i am in a predicament where i am going to have to give up either working for a bathroom fitter or my btec until next year when i can go onto a nvq level 2 in plumbing and i wondered which would give me a better chance of getting someone to take me on for that qualification.

im 19 so my course wont be free so i need to make the right decision now

btw my name is ash and i hope one day i can actually help people out on here :)

Ash

ah nuts i spelt the title wrong now sure how to change it sorry

Take the job. You might be able to get him to send you to collage for your NVQ's on day release if you show you are keen.

thanks for the replies i already work with him a few days a week and he is a very supportive guy if i can get him to say yes to taking me on properly in september he wont mind me going to do my nvq's ill be paying which i dont mind at all as he pays me cash for work now anyway :)

Stick in at it then and don't stand about waiting to be told to do something. Try to think ahead. If there is nothing you can do, find something, even if it is the brush.

And good luck;)

And keep off your mobile phone

Last edited by a moderator:
Niether would bother me, the main thing Id be interested in is your attitude, personality wether you were trust worthy,for example If you spoke like you were in the so solid crew and talked gangsta init, I would put the phone down on you.

I agree with most of the replies here, work with the guy, show you are keen and want to learn and I am sure it will all come together. I have a young lad working with me who has now finished his NVQ3 in gas. I only sponsored him through college because he showed the commitment and attitude.

thanks for all the replies

i have already cleaned his van out once and am always thinking one step ahead lol

thanks for all the advice so its agreed experiance over a btec is better?

ash

its coming close to crunch time now so to summarise

experiance over qualification for now??

ash

I don't understand, take the job as long as you can still get your plumbing qualification next year. What do you need a Btec level 1 for? can't you go straight to level 2?

the 6129 lead to the other qualifications - not sure what qual you are talking about . . .

Do 4-5 years with the guy you are with, even if you got no qualifications you will be better off than thousands of 'trained' plumbers out there looking for work.

You are lucky to have the job. I have job/apprentiship requests every week, and they go in the bin. Not enough work out there for me, and certainly not another mouth to feed . . .

you can no longer do the 6129 in full time college anymore so they changed it to a btec in construction which is a general construction qualification

if this guy cant take me on as a proper apprentice (cash in hand work at the minute but he says i can work with him everyday) i am wondering which would you prefer to see on a cv if it came through your door asking to be a pprentice

experiance or a qualification??

thanks for all your time by the way

ash

defo the experience aslong as you still plan to get the qualifcations when you can. You don't need the btec in construction if you're working with a plumber and if you are working as a plumber then why can't you just go for the plumbing qualifcations part time? I'd just get the job first, ul get the qualifcations somehow.

the problem is im too far into the year to move over to the apprentiship from my current course so i have to wait until september again to start the nvq :(

Oh that's nothing, people do apprentiships at 25 and plendty do part time nvqs well into their 40's or older. Start the proper apprentiship next year with your new job, best way to learn, thats what I did when I was 16.

you can no longer do the 6129 in full time college anymore so they changed it to a btec in construction which is a general construction qualification

if this guy cant take me on as a proper apprentice (cash in hand work at the minute but he says i can work with him everyday) i am wondering which would you prefer to see on a cv if it came through your door asking to be a pprentice

experiance or a qualification??

thanks for all your time by the way

ash

??? the 6129 is still available, it wont be next year but there is a building services level 1 pre apprenticeship programme available. the construction qual is something colleges use to make money off wanna be plumbers, pretty pointless apart from a stepping stone if your school quals were poor

yeah the 6129 is available until next year but the full time 6129 course is 2 years long so the people who started it last year are ok but noone is allowed to start it this year because its not funded next year onwards

next september im starting my nvq's i already knew the btecs wer pointless but did not know whether people would prefer a piece of paper or experiance now i know its experiance and attitude people are looking for :)

the pre apprentiship programme is to kill a year or if your not sure if you want to do the apprentiship according to my college so they dont do that but im sure i want to do it anyway :)

no if you sign for the 6129 now you still have 2 years to complete. the 6129 can be done over 1 year as a full time course,not sure where your getting your info from mate. some colleges do it over 2 but its onoly funded for 1 year, so if they run it for 2 they do it for free in year 2, so you wont find many that do that!!!

olive grove college (the grubby part of the sheffield college as a whole lol) does the 6129 over 2 years they said its all funded for 2 years and now there taking the funding and will no longer do it so switched to this crappy btec thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to need help from self employed plumbers and comapnys please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock