Discuss Strange Smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine

Hi,

This is my first ever post on a forum so please be gentle.

I have a strange smell coming from under my livingroom floor. It smells like stale water or an old mouldy washing machine. It comes and goes. It always happens after the dishwasher or wahsing machine have been on but will sometimes appear out of the blue when neither have been on all day.

There's no smell from any of the drains or appliances in the kitchen or bathroom.

A local plumber came out and checked. He didn't think that any of the drains ran under the livingroom. We pulled up a few floor boards where the smell was particulary strong but couldn't see anything. His only suggestion was to pull up all the floor boards until we source the problem but didn't reccommend that as it would ruin my polished floors.

I live on the second floor of a 100 year old tenement flat and have neighbours above and below. None of my neighbours are experiencing the same problem. I also checked with the local planning department and no one in the tenement has had permission to move a bathroom or kitchen in recent years.

I would really appreciate any advice or if somone could reccommend a good edinburgh plumber as it is getting so bad that I no longer invite friends round to visit.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post
Christine

I take it this is a new thing and all was well before. Outside, can you see the soil stack where your washing machine, dishwasher and sink go into? This should make it clear whether any waste pipe will be going under floor boards or not.

If you cant see such pipework, more than likely your soil stack will be blended into the building or boxed in, close to the toilet usually, same thing this will give you an idea where your waste pipe runs.

Definately nothing leaking around your dishwasher etc? Any air vents in the wall? Neighbours normal? One's not been missing for a few weeks? Acting suspicious?

Smells are not always due to plumbing/waste pipes. Sometimes the source can be the fabric of the building - e.g. a concrete floor not allowed to dry out properly or perhaps a roof leak seaping inside a wall.

Possibly an odd and perhaps an unhelpful post, but you did say "strange" smell!!

It could also be a design fault with the waste pipework, a trap losing it's seal through siphonage, and smells coming up that way....I know you reckon it's coming from the floor, but smells do drift.

How long have you lived there ie have you just moved in and when did you notice the smell appearing?
This may have been an ongoing thing.
Most of the tenements had back vents from the waste pipes and unfortunately a lot of "plumbers"/builders thought they weren't necessary and cut them. Although the water will not come out of the cut pipe the smell will.
Get an experienced guy who knows these type of houses to have a look.
Try SNIPEF Home - Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers Federation for a local registered firm

Look around the outside of you building and check the air bricks are not blocked buy rubbish or flowers ect They will be below your floor board level on the Outside walls

Go the Chemists and get some aromatic eucalyptus oil.

Put it down your drain and see if you can smell anything?

Is not a wind up its a recognised test.

Thanks for all the advice. :p

I'll follow up and let you know what happens. Who knows, you might here about it on the 6 O'clock news.:eek:

Cheers
Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange Smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock