Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Sorry To Bring Up TRV's Again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jaymc

Hello,

Still trawling through the web trying to educate myself!

I'll keep it simple

Q, Do I need TRV's and where?
Q, Whch manufacturer?
Q, Any suggestions for online purchase, or anywhere near Chester?

As with most things these days, I've seen arguments for and against

Cheers

Jay

1. Yes and preferably on a radiator
2. How much do you want to pay
3. Yes online purchases can be a good thing

So have i

every rad but one (heat leak normally bathroom)

danfoss ras-c2

depends which side to chester are you if your wrexham side pts

Thanks Newcastle Phill, very informative, hardly worth the effort of typing was it?

If you don't like the content, don't reply!

Thanks Newcastle Phill, very informative, hardly worth the effort of typing was it?

If you don't like the content, don't reply!

now a comment like that is not going to help you out on here so lighten up, or you wont last long!, and tbh i dont think theres anything wrong with his post and the same could be said about your post ;)

dont bit the hand thats giving you information

Its 11:30, nearly time for bed, and I'm trying to decide which poster to assist.

Hmm. Moving on...

Wasn't typed as maliciously as you appear to be reading it?
I guess if I didn't like his answer, I too could have ignored it, It appeared sarcastic to me, that's why I replied.

Wasn't typed as maliciously as you appear to be reading it?
I guess if I didn't like his answer, I too could have ignored it, It appeared sarcastic to me, that's why I replied.

you asked a question and got your answer but here you go (translated)

Do I need TRV's and where? : Yes and preferably on a radiator (yes as stated in building regs ,where else you going to put one?????)

Whch manufacturer? : How much do you want to pay ( there are hundreds of types/ manufacturers the top ones are honeywell,danfoss, drayton and ranging from £2 upto £300)

Any suggestions for online purchase, or anywhere near Chester? : Yes online purchases can be a good thing (but they can also be bad eg bits missing best thing to do is find a local plumbing merchants and go down)

hope this help and good night

Serious.jpg

Any thermostat that reduces the amount of energy used to heat a space is going to save you money, building regs requires that you have them fitted.

Any well known brand will be suitable, after they it's what you like the look of.

Better stick to a local merchant if possible but you may save a pound or two online I guess. Is there a screwfix near by?

Still trawling through the web trying to educate myself! ..... As with most things these days, I've seen arguments for and against.

The web can be hugely useful but sadly there are no laws against stupid people posting. There are no valid arguments against fitting TRVs. They save energy, are required by building regs and make for more comfortable living conditions.

A brand new system should have TRVs on all rads except in the "reference room", i.e where the wall stat is.
If you are replacing a rad then fitting a TRV is "good practice", but not compulsory.

Which manufacturer?
(In alphabetic order)
Danfoss
Drayton
Honeywell

A brand new system should have TRVs on all rads except in the "reference room", i.e where the wall stat is.
If you are replacing a rad then fitting a TRV is "good practice", but not compulsory.

Which manufacturer?
(In alphabetic order)
Danfoss
Drayton
Honeywell

Wrong if you are change an old valve for a new one you need a trv unless eg stat or heat leak

Would also suggest an auto bypass valve across the system as well so you keep the flow up through the boiler.

Would also suggest an auto bypass valve across the system as well so you keep the flow up through the boiler.

Or use a rad / bathroom with l/s valves as a heat leak don't need a bypass then

What's this thing with the bathroom rad?? An depending on the type of system fitted there well be a need for an auto bypass.

Depends on manufacturer. Some absolutely require one. Some specify a minimum percentage of system volume to be uncontrolled by TRVs. If we're giving advice let's try and be accurate!

Which manufacturer?
(In alphabetic order)
Danfoss
Drayton
Honeywell

Where did you get that? Anyone could have written it!

Building regs have the full force of law behind them, and Part L1B requires thermostatic control on heat emitters except in certain very restricted circumstances.

Depends on manufacturer. Some absolutely require one. Some specify a minimum percentage of system volume to be uncontrolled by TRVs. If we're giving advice let's try and be accurate!

Yea that's on new boilers I have a feeling this is an old of appliance

And most decent new boilers will have an internal bypass system

Last edited:
What's this thing with the bathroom rad?? An depending on the type of system fitted there well be a need for an auto bypass.

Normally on old systems the bathroom rad was used as a heat leak (somthing for the pump to circulate) but I have seen them on the kitchen rad before

Yea that's on new boilers I have a feeling this is an old of appliance

And most decent new boilers will have an internal bypass system

Makes no odds mate. Part L stipulates that central heating system upgrade require you to bring up to spec.

And even those boilers with an internal bypass require an external auto bypass, as the internal is too small.

Vaillant EcoTEC definitely do.
Ideal Logic and Vogue - as long as the non-TRV-controlled rad (plus associated pipework) is >10% then no need for external bypass. Bigger systems with smallish towel warmers will not comply with this.
Other manufacturers may have similar requirements but these ones I know for a fact.

On the other hand, Intergas only require one if ALL rads are TRV controlled, but they specify that it has to be at least 20' away from the boiler, which to my mind means that a certain system volume must be made available for heat dissipation. If the non-TRV rad is in the next room, and on a metre of 15mm pipework it's unlikely to be sufficient.

So giving out broad-brush assurances that it's never required is not really helpful. This particular OP might be talking about an old appliance but he may want to upgrade, or others might read the thread!

Just to clarify,

I'm in the process of getting all the parts to upgrade my current system setup to a combi. It's 9 rads and
2 towel rads, in a 4 bed detached
I've I only ever seen TRVs fitted upstairs, hence the question.
Can someone briefly explain the external bypass?

Just to clarify,

I'm in the process of getting all the parts to upgrade my current system setup to a combi. It's 9 rads and
2 towel rads, in a 4 bed detached
I've I only ever seen TRVs fitted upstairs, hence the question.
Can someone briefly explain the external bypass?

In all seriousness Jay, why don't you ask a couple of local GSR engineers to come and quote?

I admire you wanting to learn but there's an old saying that you don't know what you don't know. In other words you don't know where the gaps in your knowledge are so you won't be able to research them. If you miss something out, it could be a very expensive mistake.

In any case you absolutely can't hang the boiler or touch the gas or fluing, so why not get an expert in? He or she will be able to assess whether you need a bypass and explain the reasoning.

Makes no odds mate. Part L stipulates that central heating system upgrade require you to bring up to spec.

And even those boilers with an internal bypass require an external auto bypass, as the internal is too small.

Vaillant EcoTEC definitely do.
Ideal Logic and Vogue - as long as the non-TRV-controlled rad (plus associated pipework) is >10% then no need for external bypass. Bigger systems with smallish towel warmers will not comply with this.
Other manufacturers may have similar requirements but these ones I know for a fact.

On the other hand, Intergas only require one if ALL rads are TRV controlled, but they specify that it has to be at least 20' away from the boiler, which to my mind means that a certain system volume must be made available for heat dissipation. If the non-TRV rad is in the next room, and on a metre of 15mm pipework it's unlikely to be sufficient.

So giving out broad-brush assurances that it's never required is not really helpful. This particular OP might be talking about an old appliance but he may want to upgrade, or others might read the thread!

Last post on the matter

Ok fair enough but the thing is the op hasn't stated what system he has or what boiler he requires and most main manufacturers of boilers don't as I have phoned up today techs ( related to another matter the main 3) ideal , vaillant and worcester and they have sent me these

image.jpg

image.jpg

Which state you only need an external bypass if you have port valve or a full trv system no heat leak

And put it this way I have never fitted one only replaced due to them not lasting/ working well

Finall thought honest opinion not worth the hassle and extra noise that some make esp if they don't want a mag cleaner which is more important

Building regs have the full force of law behind them, and Part L1B requires thermostatic control on heat emitters except in certain very restricted circumstances.
If you mean Approved Document L1B, it contains no reference to emitters/radiators or TRVs.

The information I gave comes from The domestic building services compliance guide, which does what it says on the tin.

Section 1.4 is about the status of the Guide, in case you think it's not a relevant document.

Table 3 gives the requirements for a new system, whether it is in a new or existing building.

Item 3 says that each circuit should be provided with

i) ...
ii) ... individual radiator controls such as TRVs on all rads outside the reference room

Table 4 give the minimum standards (to comply with Building Regs) and "Good Practice" advice when replacing components in an existing system, i.e. items which exceed the minimum standard.

Item 3 relates to radiators. There are no Minimum Standards though, obviously, you can't make a system worse, e.g by removing a TRV where one is already fitted. (Unless it's in the reference room with the room stat!)

Good Practice is to fit a TRV, unless the room has a room stat.

I'm going to open a can of worms here because I'm bored, halfway through a bottle of red and it's Friday.

The approved documents are for guidance and not compulsory unless the contents is highlighted in green.

If we're spouting regulation, ie enforceable in a court, you'll need to ensure you comply with this for existing dwellings:

L1. Reasonable provision shall be made for the conservation of fuel and power in buildings by:
(a) limiting heat gains and losses—
(i) through thermal elements and other parts of the building fabric; and
(ii) from pipes, ducts and vessels used for space heating, space cooling and hot water services;
(b) providing fixed building services which—
(i) are energy efficient;
(ii) have effective controls; and
(iii) are commissioned by testing and adjusting as necessary to ensure they use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances; and
Regulation 40 providing to the owner sufficient information about the building, the fixed building services and their maintenance requirements so that the building can be operated in such a manner as to use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances.

:wheelchair:

In an ideal world we'd have no TRVs, well sized radiators, weather comp with a heat curve matched to the building and a suitably sized boiler to the buildings heat losses. TRVs reduce water volume volume through boiler which doesn't help with short cycling and minimum run times.

But instead we opt for 40kw combis for "good hot water flow"

Anyway I'm going off topic and no one cares about all that.

Yeepeee

Last edited:
Hi Masood,

I have had 4 quotes up to this point ranging from £1800 - £3850 all pretty much for the same work, and thus far I'm not getting a good feel for any of them. Which is pretty much what I was expecting. I've got 3 further quotes next week, one being British Gas.
I'm trying to ascertain what I need, and asking relevant questions so I'm armed with the right information so I can weed out the good from the bad.
I'm quite capable of doing most of the work, but wouldn't touch the boiler, I can deal with water leaks, but not Gas!
If anything this post has shown the difficulties I'm encountering as their are differing opinions amongst yourselves.

Tomorrow I'll be going to several local merchants and try and negotiate some prices. I was asking for Internet sites so I can read the details and make an informed decision on the items I want fitted.

All help and information received gratefuly, and it's interesting hearing different ideas.

Jay

Out of interest Jaymc, what are you looking for from your 7 quotes?

What would it be that swayed you towards one from another and why? Genuinely interested as you seem to be quite particular (no offense) and where are you based?

oh and what work are you having (maybe) done?

Last edited:
I'm going to open a can of worms here because I'm bored, halfway through a bottle of red and it's Friday.

The approved documents are for guidance and not compulsory unless the contents is highlighted in green.

If we're spouting regulation, ie enforceable in a court, you'll need to ensure you comply with this for existing dwellings:

L1. Reasonable provision shall be made for the conservation of fuel and power in buildings by:
(a) limiting heat gains and losses—
(i) through thermal elements and other parts of the building fabric; and
(ii) from pipes, ducts and vessels used for space heating, space cooling and hot water services;
(b) providing fixed building services which—
(i) are energy efficient;
(ii) have effective controls; and
(iii) are commissioned by testing and adjusting as necessary to ensure they use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances; and
Regulation 40 providing to the owner sufficient information about the building, the fixed building services and their maintenance requirements so that the building can be operated in such a manner as to use no more fuel and power than is reasonable in the circumstances.

:wheelchair:

In an ideal world we'd have no TRVs, well sized radiators, weather comp with a heat curve matched to the building and a suitably sized boiler to the buildings heat losses. TRVs reduce water volume volume through boiler which doesn't help with short cycling and minimum run times.

But instead we opt for 40kw combis for "good hot water flow"

Anyway I'm going off topic and no one cares about all that.

Yeepeee

I care LOL. A lad who works for me, has a brother who is a plumber in Poland, and he mentioned pretty much your last paragraph as being the norm over there! We were discussing it, as he was buying a weather compensator for his Vaillant, which I'll be asking about next...........

We've created a market where cost and speed come before design and basic scientific principles. We will struggle to get out of that mindset now in the common market, so we invent things to combat the problems it causes! Bizarre really. :crazy:

What would it be that swayed you towards one from another and why? Genuinely interested as you seem to be quite particular (no offense) and where are you based?

Hi Nostrum,

I have a 4 bed detached, 1.5 bathrooms, 9 rads, running on an Ideal Elan 2, and I think? An Albion Mainsflow tank located on my upstairs landing.
I'm asking for old stuff out, a flush, and a WB ? CDI in its place. With the WB filter to get the maximum Warranty. I'm removing all the rads and replacing myself, and have offered to assist if required opening up work to smaller businesses, as they are normally just a one man unit.

I am incredibly picky, and expect a good level of service, knowledge and skill, this is ingrained as part of my previous role as an aircraft engineer.
I may have frightened some off with my expectations, but it shows a lack of professionalism to me.
I run a team of 15 engineers, and expect the same levels from them. I almost want someone to bore me with knowledge, and offer more than one option. The current quotes are pretty much "tear it out and start again" Not one of them has offered anything else other than the combi route, and I've sort of swayed myself in that direction, because some of them weren't able to make sense of the system I have?
I've also been told to fit 3 different sized combis (all WB) and as a note, they're all from the WB accredited installers list.

Well you did ask LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sorry To Bring Up TRV's Again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
D
First time posting on here and I am after some help and advice on a project I have ongoing at home - a bit cheeky I know but as they say around...
Replies
Views
M
Grr… second time at this post after computer wiped the first one! Right, I’ve just moved into a new house – the house is not new (30y/o) but it...
Replies
Views
S
Hello, I have had to replace my Vaillant 824/2E boiler as it was written off due to a leaking combustion...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Morning gents, I am on my way to bed and thought to myself 'why didn't I ask on here?' I then thought to myself 'do it now' So I that is what I am...
Replies
Views
IDCHAPPY
I
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock