Search the forum,

Discuss What make of Direct Unvented Cylinder, and what size? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated,

We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I have had a few quotes and been given lots of differing advice, this always makes me wary, especially having suffered a history of poor quality work by cowboys in the past. Which is why I am here.

The question is in the title: What make of Direct Unvented Cylinder, and what size?

I am going to include all the information so that this thread can be of use to others with the same question.

I have had 3 quotes and 3 different cylinders suggested: Mega-Flo, evoCyl and Main. Everyone knows Mega, the other 2 are a mystery to me.

The specifics:

This is a two bed, one bathroom flat with a P shaped shower bath (similar to the one in the image below), so the bath takes a little more water than average to fill.
1600349184602.png

We currently have an ageing electric shower and a failing immersion heater and tank. Just barely 20L pm , and just barely 2 bar. Appalling pressure and flow from the current gravity system (ground floor). The flats are all electric, no gas. Almost all the plumbers agree that UC is the answer.

The boiler cupboard is right by the bathroom, as well as by the block of flats mains stopcocks, these have blue pipe, so I presume 25mm.

We are a couple with a 5 year old boy. So we tend to have on average 3 showers a day, although we can easily have a shower, a childs bath and an adult bath in one day. As my wife and I both like baths, sometimes (but not regularly) 2 baths in a day.
There is also a dishwasher and washing machine (I presume these only take cold from the mains).
We have E7 heating.
The electric shower will be replaced by a Mira Excel thermostatic shower, we are also getting a thermostatic bumgun.

Most plumbers have recommended 150 or 170L cylinder, but I am concerned we may run out of hot water.
Will 170L suffice? Is 210L excessive?

There is the space for 210, however it's a small flat which lacks cupboards, and we were hoping to use the extra cupboard space for towel shelves. I am also aware of the money saved on a smaller cylinder and lower annual heating costs.

In terms of the model, my preferrred plumber is recommending a MAIN cylinder (25 year warranty 1 year on parts), but I can find no reviews about this make at all. This makes me wary. I've seen MAIN mentioned once or twice here, just to say they are "ok".
Main Unvented Cylinders - https://www.mainheating.co.uk/main-products/unvented-cylinders/main-unvented-cylinders

The EvoCyl Air has also been quoted for by another plumber (25 year warranty 2 years on parts):
Evocyl Air Standard | ThermaQ - http://www.thermaq.co.uk/products-2/evocyl-air-standard/

Again I can find no reviews, though it's brochure and shpiel are impressive. Is anyone here familiar with either of these?

My third quote was for a Mega-Flo, as I understand it this is the industry standard, (lifetime warranty, 5 year warranty on expansion vessel and 2 years on other parts) and is considered very good, although much more expensive than perhaps equally good competitors.
Apart from the warranty, I do not really see the benefits of it. I am not even sure if an internal expansion vessel is even preferrable.

Am I right in thinking all mid range to top end cylinders do pretty much the same thing? None produce greater flow or pressure, all heat in a similar amount time? All similar quality steel cylinders. Is that right?

In which case which cylinder to choose?

I see on this forum Joule and Gledhill get mentioned favourably.

A couple of further questions:
1) Will using the kitchen tap/dishwasher effect my shower flow/pressure? IF so can I do anything be done about this?

2) We live in London, a hard water area, do I need to do anything about this? My plumber has suggested a limescale inhibitor, and advised against a water softener, in part due to space issues.
------
Once the UC is in we will need to completely redo the bathroom. New sink, bath, Mira Excel shower, electric towel rail, humidistat extractor fan, drop ceiling, ceiling lights, wall tiles and floor tiles.

3) I presume it is best to do the boiler first, and wait and see how pipes react to mains pressure, then do the bathroom. Is that right?

4) What are the annual costs for servicing an unvented cylinder?

Ok, that's about it!
Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
[automerge]1600357386[/automerge]
Found this rather excellent response on another thread:

[IMG alt="mubesjnr"]https://plumbers.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/data/avatars/m/26/26543.jpg?1547491930[/IMG]

mubesjnr

Mar 7, 2019

Firstly Robsterno1, don't get drawn into replies with those that choose to post less than helpful responses. This has happened to me before in the past when seeking, as is in your case, some genuine helpful advice. Annoying though it is, it just offers 'grist to the mill', so if on here again just refrain and ignore. That's what I do and I'm Gas Safe registered and G3 qualified.

That being said you may wish to consider the more helpful responses that were given. Notably, Joule over some brand that no-one has heard of. In my business I offer my customers several cost options ranging from entry level RM's up to Joule or Gledhill cylinders. I also offer them the option of a dual coil cylinder which will facilitate a very fast recovery time when both coils connected to a single heat source. Where, the secondary coil can be connected to an ASHP (Air Source Heat Pump) or Solar Thermal IF the customer should so desire to install one at a later stage. Obviously, a single coil cylinder will be cheaper to purchase than a dual coil one.

I agree with the opinion expressed about staying away from enamelled cylinders. Obsolete technology in my opinion that should be avoided.

In general, with regards to the domestic unvented cylinder market, the more expensive the cylinder is the more likely it has been manufactured from a superior grade of Duplex stainless steel. There exists three main grades of Duplex S/S: Lean, Reference (sometimes known as Standard) and Super, respectively. All of which have there specific commercial applications and now more widely employed by cylinder manufactures. I suspect, but can not be clear as no manufacturer is willing to divulge this commercially sensitive information when I made my own enquiry some time ago, that the cheaper cylinders are made from Lean grade Duplex and the more expensive from Reference (or standard) grade Duplex. The later having a higher Molybdenum content which in turn gives a greater overall resistance to chloride stress corrosion cracking. Thus the difference in manufacture warranties and price point.

In addition, as helpful contributors have remarked, water pressure is not the only consideration in this instance when upgrading to an unvented cylinder. The flow rate (volume of water/unit time) is important too and is directly related to the cross sectional area of your incoming mains water supply pipe. Your friend, should undertake a dynamic pressure test and flow rate at the nearest unrestricted draw off point to the internal stopcock to quantify this. Rule of thumb is approx. 20L/min at 2bar. Consequently, will an upgrade to your mains water supply need to be undertaken? Inside the house? Outside the house? Or both?

It would not be unreasonable to ask your friend to detail a schematic of that which is proposed and then if you wished for it to be reviewed by useful contributors on here I'm sure you will get some helpful feedback.

Other points to note, when converting over your domestic hot water set up, is the potential risk for component failure due to the higher standing water pressure as a consequence of the hot and cold services now being pressurised to a maximum of 3bar. Where as before, notwithstanding anything in your current set up that was served directly off of the mains, would have a standing pressure of approximately 0.5bar...dependant of course on the height of the cold water storage tank in your loft above the outlets it serves.

In addition, and a point I posted on not that long ago, is the need for the plumber to ensure a balanced hot and cold draw off through out the house. Therefore, ask him what aspects of the existing plumbing will remain and what will change to being served by a balanced supply.

Lastly, consider location. As it is proposed to install a mains fed cylinder this can, within reason, be at any location in the house, notwithstanding D2 termination requirements. This being a term that if he's G3 registered he will be able to explain and discuss with you.

These are all basic design elements that through good practice and communication with your customer can be discussed and decided upon before the commencement of works. Informed choice!

Hope this helps in some way.
[automerge]1600357974[/automerge]
Here is a list of recommended cylinders I have seen online:
Best Unvented Cylinders 2020 | Review Brands, Price & Performance - https://www.boilerguide.co.uk/articles/best-unvented-cylinders

Attachments

• 1600357319950.gif
    1600357319950.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 9
  • 1600357319982.gif
    1600357319982.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 9
Last edited:
I would go with 210l as sounds like you will need the extra head room

Main are ok brand

joule or glee hill are another two decent ones

never head of the second make but looks like another brand so could be sold and rebadged so avoid

mega flows I don’t rate warranty is pants had 3 leaking from the brass plugs and want paying

yes using a tap while someone is using/having a shower will effect either you or them depending on who is closer to the mains stop tap, accumulator is a way to fix this but space is required

Depends on the levels / hardness if it is I would opt for a softener all day these little inline things don’t work

yes as you will need to change your outlets for high pressure ones

depending on companies and any parts that need to be changed around 100-200 could be more

I would go with 210l as sounds like you will need the extra head room

Main are ok brand

joule or glee hill are another two decent ones

never head of the second make but looks like another brand so could be sold and rebadged so avoid

mega flows I don’t rate warranty is pants had 3 leaking from the brass plugs and want paying

yes using a tap while someone is using/having a shower will effect either you or them depending on who is closer to the mains stop tap, accumulator is a way to fix this but space is required

Depends on the levels / hardness if it is I would opt for a softener all day these little inline things don’t work

yes as you will need to change your outlets for high pressure ones

depending on companies and any parts that need to be changed around 100-200 could be more
Thanks for your reply. That's helpful.

Are you saying that in your opinion Joule and Gledhill are better than Main?

I've fitted RM Prostel and Evocyl. No problems to report.
Not fitted direct versions, so can't comment on effectiveness of immersion heating, although one customer did use theirs through the summer to save oil.

fyi The size of the external expansion vessels for 180-250L appear to be around 40cm by 30cm
[automerge]1600950056[/automerge]
Fitted a few, quite like them. Pretty good recovery rates too.

Like ACV smart cylinders too. Tank in tank so real quick recovery.

Pics for those interested.View attachment 45441View attachment 45442View attachment 45443View attachment 45444View attachment 45445View attachment 45446
are these Direct Unvented?
[automerge]1600956687[/automerge]
Ok i have narrowed my choices down to Joule or Main, I am currently trying to get full details on heat and recovery/reheat times.
Page 6 of Main brochure has heating times (215min), But no recovery details:
https://www.fueltankshop.co.uk/files/pdf/pdf5791_b.pdf

Clearer info in Joule brochure, on pages 17 and 35 (119min), but again not recovery time:
https://electricaldealsdirect.co.uk/media/pdfs/Cyclone_Air_Brochure.pdf
[automerge]1600957670[/automerge]
fyi The size of the external expansion vessels for 180-250L appear to be around 40cm by 30cm

Ok i have narrowed my choices down to Joule or Main, I am currently trying to get full details on heat and recovery/reheat times.

Clearer info in Joule brochure, on pages 17 and 35 (119min), but again not recovery time:
Ok according to Joule phone support, recovery time for 200L is around 81min
MAIN phone support just left me on hold for 20mins till I gave up. Another point for Joule.
[automerge]1600958310[/automerge]

[automerge]1600957670[/automerge]

Ok according to Joule phone support, recovery time for 200L is around 81min
MAIN phone support just left me on hold for 20mins till I gave up. Another point for Joule.

Telford tempest also looking like a good option as it's 200L is significantly shorter (1120cm by 580 ) and slightly faster heat up times ( 108min )

Last edited:
Fitted a few Telford Tempest, they're OK. Get decent control set with them and a Honeywell Zone valve on the indirect.

Had two leak from new though, and one fail after 3 years. Warranty was honoured, and replacement cylinder within a week but they wouldn't cover the cost of labour to replace, Maria on the customer services is interesting to deal with. Had two others fail but tbh they'd been fitted by other installers and weren't fitted correctly so can't really blame Telford for them...

They do some nice sizes, like the 200l is short and fat compared to others.

Would I have one in my own house? Well my Dad does but I'd have a MegaFlo personally.

Fitted a Kingspan recently that was supplied by customer and that seemed pretty decent.

Fitted a few Telford Tempest, they're OK. Get decent control set with them and a Honeywell Zone valve on the indirect.

Had two leak from new though, and one fail after 3 years. Warranty was honoured, and replacement cylinder within a week but they wouldn't cover the cost of labour to replace, Maria on the customer services is interesting to deal with. Had two others fail but tbh they'd been fitted by other installers and weren't fitted correctly so can't really blame Telford for them...

Would I have one in my own house? Well my Dad does but I'd have a MegaFlo personally.

Fitted a Kingspan recently that was supplied by customer and that seemed pretty decent.

are they the esi ones?

ESI valves on the Telford Tempest? No you get Honeywell. One of my reasons for sticking with them as a budget cylinder.

Honeywell on Kingspan too.

sorry was thinking of a tribune dont ever install esi valves there rubbish

Yes a bit concerned by Telfords leaks that Ive heard about, coupled with a few poor online customer service reviews.
It's a shame because the 200L short would be a perfect physical fit.

"Maria on the customer services is interesting to deal with." Ha. you in politics too PorkChop?

Im hoping to go with the Joule 200L short, if it will fit (600 by 1150cm). I have also been impressed with their phone support when I've called with technical questions their staff answered immediately and were very helpful.
(MAIN on the other hand, left me on hold for 20min before I gave up.)

Joule also offer the option of Titanium immersion, is this something worth considering? Since I don't have space for a softener and live in East London, which is considered pretty hard water.

Thanks for all your continued invaluable help and expertise.
[automerge]1601033097[/automerge]
Long question short: Will the Joule short fit in my boiler cupboard?

Joule SHORT 200L with external expansion vessel:
Joule Direct Cyclone Hot Water Cylinder 200L Short Boiler - https://electricaldealsdirect.co.uk/direct-cyclone-200l-short.html
The Short is only 1150 tall and 60cm wide.

This would make great use of the limited space we have. However it is a tight fit.

I think it will just about fit, and my plumber thinks maybe, but before I order it I was hoping to get your expert opinions. Thank you again for your help.

Please let me know if the Joule Short is a viable option. Thanks

fyi here is Joules brochure with dimensions in full (relevant details can be found on page 35):

CUPBOARD details and photos:
Our cupboard is 70cm wide with an extra alcove space on the right(where the plunger is in photo) that is 15cm wide and 20cm deep.
Cupboard depth is 61cm, with an extra 3cm of empty space (at the front) in the unused doorjam.

*Obvioulsy this does not take into account pipework. Some of which I see running down the back of the current cylinder and from there into the bathroom (to the left). I presume they are mains cold and immersion hot. I have included photos of these.

Boiler cupboard
cylinder.jpeg

WIDTH: 70cm +15cm alcove
Boiler cupboard left to right 70cm + 5cm alcove at front.jpeg

DEPTH 61cm
Boiler cupboard front to back 61cm.jpeg

Doorjam 3cm
Door Jam clearance 3cm.jpeg

Right side of cupboard (mains come in from this side)
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-21 at 16.00.34.jpeg

Rear of right side
cylinder right hand side.jpeg

Top left of cylinder
cylinder top left.jpeg

Rear top left of cylinder, looking down
cylinder REAR top left looking down.jpeg

Pipework at rear of cylinder (looking from right to left)
cylinder rear pipes low from right to left.jpeg

Size of pipes at rear of cylinder
boiler rear pipes clearance.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes a bit concerned by Telfords leaks that Ive heard about, coupled with a few poor online customer service reviews.
It's a shame because the 200L short would be a perfect physical fit.

"Maria on the customer services is interesting to deal with." Ha. you in politics too PorkChop?

Im hoping to go with the Joule 200L short, if it will fit (600 by 1150cm). I have also been impressed with their phone support when I've called with technical questions their staff answered immediately and were very helpful.
(MAIN on the other hand, left me on hold for 20min before I gave up.)

Joule also offer the option of Titanium immersion, is this something worth considering? Since I don't have space for a softener and live in East London, which is considered pretty hard water.

Thanks for all your continued invaluable help and expertise.
[automerge]1601033097[/automerge]
Long question short: Will the Joule short fit in my boiler cupboard?

Joule SHORT 200L with external expansion vessel:
Joule Direct Cyclone Hot Water Cylinder 200L Short Boiler - https://electricaldealsdirect.co.uk/direct-cyclone-200l-short.html
The Short is only 1150 tall and 60cm wide.

This would make great use of the limited space we have. However it is a tight fit.

I think it will just about fit, and my plumber thinks maybe, but before I order it I was hoping to get your expert opinions. Thank you again for your help.

Please let me know if the Joule Short is a viable option. Thanks

fyi here is Joules brochure with dimensions in full (relevant details can be found on page 35):

CUPBOARD details and photos:
Our cupboard is 70cm wide with an extra alcove space on the right(where the plunger is in photo) that is 15cm wide and 20cm deep.
Cupboard depth is 61cm, with an extra 3cm of empty space (at the front) in the unused doorjam.

*Obvioulsy this does not take into account pipework. Some of which I see running down the back of the current cylinder and from there into the bathroom (to the left). I presume they are mains cold and immersion hot. I have included photos of these.

Boiler cupboard
View attachment 45506

WIDTH: 70cm +15cm alcove
View attachment 45499

DEPTH 61cm
View attachment 45500

Doorjam 3cm
View attachment 45501

Right side of cupboard (mains come in from this side)
View attachment 45508

Rear of right side
View attachment 45502

Top left of cylinder
View attachment 45504

Rear top left of cylinder, looking down
View attachment 45503

Pipework at rear of cylinder (looking from right to left)
View attachment 45505

Size of pipes at rear of cylinder
View attachment 45507
Have you considered the room you'll need for the expansion vessel? As at 200L it'll be a fairly big expansion.

Reply to What make of Direct Unvented Cylinder, and what size? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock