Search the forum,

Discuss Rad sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUCIALIA

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
What is the best website to use when sizing up a house for radiators?

There was a guide on this site somewhere at some point.Maybe it was only temporary.

Just found it go into plumbing forum and its under sticky threads.

Last edited:
Had a look but couldn't find anything, anyone else with any ideas please?

yep pay your ÂŁ50 for a mears and youll be spot on, or get a heating engineer in to do wot he spent years training to do. Sorry if you are a heating engineer, but wouldnt be asking that question, would u

Last edited by a moderator:
[DLMURL="http://www.theradiatorcompany.co.uk/heatoutput/"]Heat Output Calculator - The Radiator Company[/DLMURL]

height(ft) x width(ft) x length(ft) x 5 = BTU ideal for a DIYer
That formula was around in the 1960's when central heating was becoming popular. Gas was cheap (state controlled) and The Gas Board, who had a monopoly, would advertise "guaranteed temperatures"; which was possible because they oversized the rads and the boiler. The formula makes no allowance for improvement in house design and insulation.

I did a quick "whole house" calculation for a well insulated detached house which is 20ft x 24 ft x 8ft x 2 floors. Using the formula, it works out at 38,400BTU or 11.25kW.

The Sedbuk and EST calculators give a result of 6kW.

I know which one I would trust; and it does not use imperial measurements. :rolleyes:

What is the best website to use when sizing up a house for radiators?
Forget the online estimators which make far too many assumptions.

Do a "whole house" calculation using either the Sedbuk Boiler Calculator or the [DLMURL="http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Building-Professionals/Helpful-Tools/Whole-house-boiler-sizing-wizard"]EST online boiler calculator[/DLMURL]

If you then deduct 2kW from the final result you will get the total heating requirement for your house. It's then just a case of dividing this between the various rooms say according to room volume. As the upstairs rooms tend to be cooler than downstairs you could allow 45% of the heat upstairs and 55% downstairs.

If you want to do the job properly, do a google for "Stelrad Stars", which is a program you can download and install on your computer. You can then use it to work out what you need in each room. The rad total should be very close to that provided by the "whole house" calculator.

Saw a guide that said room length x width x height(volume) x153 =btu rating.
Don't know if this is correct?
I'm sure someone will put me straight!!

That formula was around in the 1960's when central heating was becoming popular. Gas was cheap (state controlled) and The Gas Board, who had a monopoly, would advertise "guaranteed temperatures"; which was possible because they oversized the rads and the boiler. The formula makes no allowance for improvement in house design and insulation.

It is a quick fix idea for a DIYer, hence my statement of it for being for a DIYer, its not usually way out and it does only take into consideration the siza of a room. I use my trusty mears calculator, good old hand-me-down. Worth about ÂŁ50 I'm told

Saw a guide that said room length x width x height(volume) x153 =btu rating.
Don't know if this is correct?
I'm sure someone will put me straight!!

Depends on the units you use to measure the room in?

I use length x width x height in metres. Then multiply by: 40 for well insulated room with one outside wall, 45 for "normal room" or 50 for cold, poorly insulated 3 outside walls, large windows (e.g. conservatory or french doors). Then divide by 1000 and you have the wattage.

Never failed me yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
N
Hi! We're looking for a consult for our 1905 built (renovated in 2010) victorian house for the future of our heating system. The house is 2 floors and runs 2 different systems and hot water. On the ground floor we have water based underfloor heating with a mix of tile and wood floors with...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm studying plumbing and my work mate sized the opportunity to help him installing a new radiator. I'm looking for general advice which might eliminate mistakes. It'd also help me to build a portfolio before getting a job in trade. The house is old built and the rad goes into the kitchen...
Replies
Views
My father has a parkray fire which has a back boiler . He had a leaky radiator, when he was attempting to fix leak the circulating pump (grundfos) was making a rattling noise this stopped once the radiator leak was fixed ( he lost a fair bit of water ) . The problem being now is that the...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock