Search the forum,

Discuss Cant refill heating system back boiler run off parkray coal fire in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My father has a parkray fire which has a back boiler . He had a leaky radiator, when he was attempting to fix leak the circulating pump (grundfos) was making a rattling noise this stopped once the radiator leak was fixed ( he lost a fair bit of water ) . The problem being now is that the gravity fed cold water system doesn't seem to have refilled the rad back up . I have took the big centre screw from the pump and it is bone dry I can't get something in to turn( seems to have lots of metal looking fillings around the thing that turns ) but if I use the switch on side of pump and turn up this rattling noise begins again ( when on lower setting it isn't turning ). I have been into loft and located 2 tanks and they both had water in, the smaller 1 looked like it had lost some water ( there was a visible water line to indicate previous level ). I pushed down on the rubber ball and refilled to previous level . I have tried to balance the radiators but no air or water is coming out when I tried to bleed them . I am thinking maybe blocked cold water feed is blocked as I think there should be water coming out of the pump? I am no plumber at all and ano its best to get someone in but my dad has had this heating for decades and he's reluctant to let someone come to look as he's fearful they will condem and he will be forced to have a combi boiler installed . ( i have tried for years to get him to upgrade his heating system but he's old and set in his ways ) . Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks Julie

Could well be blocked cold feed but just may be airlock.
Back in day standard trick was to blow down heating open vent to shift airlock.
Try a magnet on cold feed if it sticks its full of crap.

Sorry I am totally useless what do u mean by the magnet against cold feed ? Forgot to mention he has hot water but no heating at all . Pump struggles to turn on setting 1 but setting 3 its making a racket no water getting to pump

Thanks so much appreciate you taking the time to respond 🙂

If the gravity circulation is working to hot water cylinder that's obviously re filled.
Sounds like air lock on heating.
Unfortunately think you going to need it looked at.
I would suggest trying to find someone with experience of solid fuel systems .

I have removed the pipe going to the pump and no water came out which suggests a blocked cold water feed ?? I then disconnected the copper pipe from the tank and tried to put a long pipe cleaner type rod and it was useless to be honest as I had to manoeuvre round a bend but I did locate what I think was the blockage about 2 inches along pipe after bend but cudnt dislodge . Think it is time to admit defeat and get the professionals in unless someone has an idea to unblock ? I was hoping there was going to be a join so I could remove a bit pipe and unblock it that way but I have learnt there isn't access to the joins as they seem to be soldered am guessing to reduce leaks ? Anyways I am grateful for the responses guys 😊

I have removed the pipe going to the pump and no water came out which suggests a blocked cold water feed ?? I then disconnected the copper pipe from the tank and tried to put a long pipe cleaner type rod and it was useless to be honest as I had to manoeuvre round a bend but I did locate what I think was the blockage about 2 inches along pipe after bend but cudnt dislodge . Think it is time to admit defeat and get the professionals in unless someone has an idea to unblock ? I was hoping there was going to be a join so I could remove a bit pipe and unblock it that way but I have learnt there isn't access to the joins as they seem to be soldered am guessing to reduce leaks ? Anyways I am grateful for the responses guys 😊
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so can cut that bit of pipe out and put a new piece in with z couple of straight connectors. Or might be able to break it up by tapping pipe around the blockage with a hammer. Find an older plumber who remembers such systems!

Reply to Cant refill heating system back boiler run off parkray coal fire in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock