Search the forum,

Discuss megaflo issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

Yesterday,

I looked at a megaflo indirect unvented. I have a couple of related questions to it that you kind people will be able to help me with.

First of all, I don't touch these time bombs unless I've got the manual, I now have it because I printed it out from the internet the customer has lost his copy.

The problem is that he has heating but no hotwater and has to heat it directly. He's been doing this for 6 months and has used 1000 yep! 1000 units.

Initially, I though 2 port valve, but I have my doubts, I played with the valve and can hear it moving. (both of them) So, I thinking a thermal cut out. (its never going to be that simple)

My questions are two fold:

First, the 2x two port valves are in the loft eaves on the first floor along with the pump, the megaflo is on the ground floor. In the back of my mind, I only have to drain down below the first floor but I have something niggling away at me. This is the easy part to answer.

Secondly, Normally theres a feed and expansion tank on an open vented system, in this case there is an expansion tank. A pressure gauge all next to the two port valve and pump. I've looked in my book on unvented but can see no reference to it, done some searching on the internet again no luck.

Do I drain down normally? How does this work? can you poke me in the right direction? I know that I need to research this a little and have booked the job for next monday. Please in your replies try and avoid too much terminology......by all means use words containing one sylabul

you did not say what you want to do.

drain down is same as vented. isolate (soz 3 sylabuls) cold water in. drain.

The expansion vessel must be for the heating side. The megaflows shouldn't need one as they work with an airgap, due to a diptube in the top. And this controls the expansion.

Sounds like a problem which could be found with a multimeter though

Thanks chaps,
I knew I'd forget something,
Yes expansion vessel is for heating side,
Like everything I touch I like to cover all eventualites, so I wanted to know If I drain the system down is it the same and I'd like it confirmed that I do only need to drain the first floor.
I agree I have to play with my multi meter, however, the customer said "if you replace 1 just replace them both" a bit ott for me but that's what he wants.

I would (if possible) someone could explain how an expansion vessel works, I have an idea but can't find information on it anywhere. Not come across one before and would like a little more information

due to a diptube in the top

:D
i know the answer to this
:D
It has a diptube, which allows it to hold a big airgap. And air (unlike water) can be compressed, which makes room for the expanded water. I dont think i can give a better explaination without a drawing:cool:

do you have unvented qualifications,if not and things go wrong at time you do job or after, you could face a fine or even worse should you injure someone prison.if you do have relevent qualifications why are you asking such basic questions.

Thanks Jimbob,

The mist is slowly clearing.....

David,

Yes, I do have unvented qual. I understand the expansion vessel in the megaflo. However, as requested I have not come across an expansion vessel/tank in the loft before which is attached to a pressure gauge.

As I haven't come across this before, I have booked the job in for next monday to give me time to research this. Unfortunately, I haven't as yet been able to find out any information. Hence my post here, if you can shed any light on this I'd appreciate your input.

the expansion vessel in loft should be a sealed central heating system. it may be themal cut out on cylinder has shut motorised valve.check you have current passing through cut out ,then if so is it opening motorised valve.where is boiler could it be a simple airlock.what is hot water themostat on cylinder set at,with boiler on trace heat along pipes till it goes cold ,let me know how you get on. is there a filling loop in loft with expansion vessal and gauge.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tryed opening the 2port valves manualy or taken the covers off to see if they are moving

If the megaflo's about 10 years or older it could have an external expansion vessel.
But from what you've described it does sound like you need to get your multimeter out.

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to megaflo issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock