Discuss lead dressing, roofing tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

northstar

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi does anyone know the best place to buy tools for lead work ? many thanks

Among others
[DLMURL="http://www.monument-tools.com/Roofing+lead.htm"]roofing and sheet metal tools, sheet lead, lead dresser, seaming pliers, lead working tools, cut lead, chase wedge, bossing mallet, bossing stick, London, uk[/DLMURL]

Available from any plumbers merchants or no doubt online. Make your choice between wood or plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could never get on with the plastic range,always prefered wood and so did most of the trademan I used to work with,we used to get them untreated and soak them in linseed oil for a few days and over weekend,just always found easier on the lead than plastic although plastic lasts longer i most cases.not in ours coz we used to throw them in the bin

on my 6129 course we had the choice of wood or plastic for lead work, i much preferred the wooden tools.

yep - wood all the way, and light too.. get small and light, far better than large and heavy.

Depends on the code. Sometimes you'll wish you had a 4lb hammer if working 8 :eek:

Generally wood is best and treat them as puddle said.

plastic dresser for setting in corners (hit it with a mallet/hammer) and flattening down (doesn't mark the lead as much ) - wood bossing stick for stretching/reducing and a size 5 wood dresser for any heavy work both well soaked in linseed . forget setting in sticks and mallets they're for college only.

For mallets and bossing sticks I prefer wood the grain grips the lead on the blow and will move the lead quicker for flat dressers I have got to say nylon cant be beaten even with a 4lb hammer excuse the pun..

gb-gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to lead dressing, roofing tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hi! I've been chasing the smell under our stairs/cellar for so long and have had many things fixed one by one, the smell still remains, next...
Replies
Views
Jeff the lonesome
J
Hi all, a little advice and validation of current advice (from dad). So boiler has been loosing pressure with an error code of E119. The pressure...
Replies
Views
Hi guys looking for some help and advice. Not sure if this is within the forum rules or the right place to be asking but I have recently...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am ex forces weapons engineer currently working as prod manager for engineering firm in west Berkshire. I have 30 years mech eng under...
Replies
Views
Back