Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Plumber wannabe in West Berkshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am ex forces weapons engineer currently working as prod manager for engineering firm in west Berkshire. I have 30 years mech eng under my belt and am seriously considering career change as my job is evolving into data input clerk.

I have had experience of pipe fitting and plumbing over the years and feel it would be a good transition for me. As you know though there is a big difference in knowing the technicalities and understanding them. This can only come from experience and I am sure there are big gaps in my current knowledge base.

The plan is as follows

Do an accredited course, found one that I can do at weekends, 15 of them, and offers placement to get prortfolio signed off. I know this type of course is frowned upon but I am focused, driven and exceptionally good at picking things up. I pride myself on my professionalism and intend to be bloody good at it.

I would like to find and work with someone in the West Berkshire area covering weekends and evenings that would take a chance on having me as an assistant. Ideally prior to and following the course.

I am technically minded, can use or have used most of the tools and techniques employed in day to day plumbing work, I can solder, measure, markout and cut material accurately.

Do not worry about creating a future business rival as I and my family will be moving to a remote area of Scotland next year in prep for Daughters University enrolment. Not many good plumbers there and seems to be the best trade to support the community there.

I am currently reading around the subject to ensure it is the right choice and the more I do, I realise it is an exciting venture that hits my core values. I can't wait to get spannering again.

So if anyone out there needs a mate, not the type you find on dodgy websites, I am available and ready to learn.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, this forum is a great resource and I am pleased to be a member of it.

Cheers

Ian

welcome! I am sure some of the guys will be here to offer their advice too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber wannabe in West Berkshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock