Discuss Is this copper soldering just ugly, problematic, or dangerous? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Two pictures from a gas boiler install - is this dangerous, or just embarrassingly poor workmanship. What are the medium term implications of the joins like this?

BadJoin.jpg
BadSoldering.jpg

Do I need to get another plumber in to review and fix this? It is just shoddy but acceptable?

Regards,
Paul McGinnie

Just cheap workmanship

Needs a clean and a sand eg the solder snots off 40-60 grit sandpaper and a paint over then you won’t be able to tell

Don't protect the surrounds from flame and heat - check
Apply too much flux - check
Overheat the fitting - check
Apply too much solder - check
Overheat the solder - check
Fail to clean pipes of any excess - check

If you showed someone off the street how to solder in ten minutes they probably could've done a better job, it is quite appalling that a so called professional did this. Fortunately or unfortunately even someone demonstrating so little skill or care can still produce sound joints more by luck than judgement.

IMO, that hasn't been done with the level of skill and care that can reasonably be expected of a someone trading as a plumber. (i.e. it's a breach of an implied term in the contract.) I'd want it all taken out and redone with new tube and fittings by someone properly trained and experienced.

I would be a bit nervous if the person who did that was gase safe.

Might be worth double checking that either who ever installed it or the person who signed it off is actually gas safe and that they were present to sign it off. Eg the company uses a non gas safe engineer to install the boiler then signs the book in the boss's name.

PTFE on compression threads and all sorts doesn't scream to me they are qualified.

Reply to Is this copper soldering just ugly, problematic, or dangerous? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, Apologies for the mammoth post but my neighbours and I really need some advice... I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and need some advice about some concerns about a new gas boiler that I have had fitted by a gas safe engineer...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, a layperson homeowner, stopping by in desperation to try and get a better understanding of my options regarding a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock