Search the forum,

Discuss Hot flow pipe's, cold rads?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blocked pipe

Hello guys, thanks for your interest to read this and maybe have some answers for me, I have a situation with a house's heating, 3 rads downstairs (all separate dropdowns) and two rads upstairs, the rads don't get hot (or even warm) down stairs (but the flow pipes do) and the rads upstairs get hot but only when the hot water is on, I have drained the rads downstairs and got hot water coming out of the flow (as they all have separate external drain offs for flow and return), but the rads still won't get hot and there all full of water, its a back boiler aswell, might it be the pump?, I've not had much dealings with back boilers, the rads all worked fine apparentley untill the father changed all the rads and valves over (and he put the trv's at the top if that makes any difference?) Many thanks for reading this and hopefully you have some answers for me.

Turn the rad off via the trv, then open one with the trv wait for it to heat up, then go and turn the others back on this sometimes helps the circulator, good luck

Do you know why the valves are now at the top ? Are they on flow or return & are they bi directional ?

I would imagine the valves were fitted at the top to reduce the amount of copper used in the past when there were copper shotages, seen this a few times now and that the only explanation I can think of.

I would imagine the valves were fitted at the top to reduce the amount of copper used in the past when there were copper shotages, seen this a few times now and that the only explanation I can think of.
top and bottom connectios are actually the most effective set up look at the blurb at the bottom of any rad list and youll find thats the way the outputs were achieved and usually a correction factor for bottom entry

Yes they are bi directional valves, not woories about why the valves are at the top of the rads, just looking for solutions for getting heat into the rads, all valves are open and water can be drained from flow and return pipes?

Hi.

Have you tried turning the radiator valves off on the upstairs radiators to force the flow through the downstairs rads?? I have needed to do this on several jobs and has always worked so far...

how new are the rads this is a strange one! would suggest looking at pump - but if its hot all way round then you should have some heat in the rads at least

top and bottom are the best way to pipe rads - its done bottom bottom purely for cosmetic reasons

Last edited by a moderator:
Top and bottom connections were usually used on old single pipe systems like raf camps and schools

Can I check, do you have 1 or 2 header tanks/f+e tanks??

Reason why I ask is that if you only have 1 header tank in the attic you have a single feed, primatic system this would explain why the rads are hot upstairs when the hot water is on!!

I thought the rad's with a valve at the top and one at the bottom were positioned like this for gravity circulation on systems before pumps were used. :)

On a single pipe system the rads just about work on heat rising as the water flow goes straight past the radiator the heat risers to the top pipe and shoves the cold out the bottom valve on black iron we used to use swept tees to try and get a bit of flow through the rad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot flow pipe's, cold rads?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock