Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Heavy Gauge Copper Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

earl198

Hi, I have the nightmare task of having to repair very old pipework that is heavy gauge (1" copper) I am having to do a lot of filing on the outside of the pipe so it will accept a 28mm compression coupling. Does anyone know of a fitting that can be used that will fit this pipework.

thanks

Stuart

It will probably be 1 1/8 od you get adaptors to convert to 28mm I do this sort of thing regular:)

Phoned round a few merchants, no joy. Can you tell me where to buy them?

Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a very well stocked independant merchant were I get them from but I`m sure crossling`s or bss should sell them

Last edited:
I never have that problem - I always save old imperial compression fittings and any other oddball fittings when I come across them on decommissioned pipework especially for that purpose.

if your client is well off, explain the problem, weigh it in, replace with new thin wall stuff, its for the best :)

Thanks guys for the help. Would be great if the client replaced all the pipework alas there is so much of it (it's an old hotel) the pipework is in a 8" by 3" trench in concrete floors with tee pieces at the walls to supply basins. Just to make it harder all the fittings are securex. (joy!) I am going to bss tomorrow with a sample of pipe I think they have an idea what im looking for. I will let you know the outcome.

Stuart

That's nothing! One of my clients is a hotel which has 4" cast iron spigot jointed piping for the central heating supply. Looks pre-war.

Replacing it would be easier said than done as it would mean lifting all fancy tiled marble floors and removing oak panelling. Fortunately most of the pipe is visible and no leaks. We always ensure there is plenty of Fernox in it and we have 3 magnacleans in the circuit.

Does anyone know what materials would have been used in the spigots to join the pipes? (is it likely to be asbestos based?)

Last edited:
Don't know. Most of the pipework is covered by an insulation which looks like a natural fibre in plaster or something similar. The circuit is definitely over 50 years old, and I expect it probably dates from the 30s of 40s, possibly earlier. It is the only example of cast iron heating pipes I have ever seen in the flesh - everything else has been screwed steel or flanged steel pipe.

Hi The insulation may well be asbestos skimmed with plaster. Ok until you have to reveal pipe for what ever reason. Treat with care. The heavy gauge copper pipe is it screwed or 1" BS. 659 ?

The insulation is defnitely not asbestos (we had it sampled) but is some form of natural fibre (hemp or jute) in plaster.

As for the spigot joints, I have no idea what the joiting method is. An engineering textbook of mine says for the chemical industry - a mix of 80 to 100 parts iron filings, with 2 parts powdered sulphur and 1 part ammonium chloride.

Do any other members on the forum have experience in working on cast iron spigoted central heating pipework? My experience is with steel flanged pipework bolted together.

Hi, Re:- the cast iron caulked joints. Yarn and lead seems to be the standard for this material, i can remember ripping out for the scrap, cast iron heating loop in a green house which were lead caulked as are cast water mains of the same era. Iron filling / cement paste can be used to seal blow holes in castings. If corrodes rapidly and the rust does the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heavy Gauge Copper Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock