Discuss Frozen jammed fire valve to boiler - no heating or hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amandajayne

Hi everyone.
Can any one suggest how one might 'unblock' a jammed fire valve.?
The valve is on the outside wall of a house in the Highlands ,its been minus 10 for a week ,its now warm ! at only minus 2.the valve is not allowing oil to flow into the house ..........would hot water from a kettle help ?or make the situation worse by closing the valve further/tighter.?...Is it possible to reset or push open the valve rod(the knurled knob on top has snapped due to the cold)..please help ...we are running out of logs.

to reopen the fire valve, pull the lever on top. if the knob has broken - you will need to use pliers.

Daft question, how do you know that the valve is not allowing oil through?

Also, identify what has triggered the fire valve (if it is so) as this is a safety device!

Oh and kero becomes much more viscous at -10 too.....

What make is the fire valve? at -10 there will be moisture in the oil and it will have frozen do not put hot water on it will only make it worse, if the knob has broken off you will need to replace it and depending what make it is! if it is a Teddington KBB the knob must be underneath. get your hair dryer and warm it, also fire valves should not be open to the elements ,it should be protected. ALSO the rest of the oil line could also have moisture it.

Last edited by a moderator:
rtps, just for my curiosity, regs state fire valve to be installed before oil line enters property (every diagram ive ever seen shows it externally ) how in that case do you protect it from the elements? ive never heard that point of view before, and if there is a way to help it live a little longer, i wish to know !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Frozen jammed fire valve to boiler - no heating or hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock