Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting Thermostatic Rad Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbharrison

I am intending to fit Thermostatic Rad valves to all my radiators. I have heard that it is important to leave one radiator without a TRV but do not really understand why this is necessary. Also my current system does not have TRV's and uses a single room thermostat mounted in the hall. When TRV's are fitted, the pump will run when the hall temperature is below the setting of the room thermostat but if the hall TRV is on a low setting the pump will run continuously, as the hall radiator will be off.
What is the correct way to resolve this?

you don't fit trvs in the same room as a room stat, they play against each other.
when one rad is left without a trv that rad is used as a bypass. in your case the hall rad.

most boilers have a bypass fitted to them now days. and if yours is an old system boiler does it have a pump over run ?
and is it a y plan or s plan

you shouldnt use a rad as a bypass, you must hve a regulating auto by-pass. doddle to fit, just link between flow and return

it's not a regulation you must fit a auto by pass, it is still acceptable to use a gate valve as a bypass by many boiler manufactors.
and im talking when systems where back boilers and gravity long before auto bypass were being fitted. and as many still have gate valves fitted, and theres no regulation to state they must be changed.

it is contained in the best practice guide for domestic heating installations. its all to do with energy efficiency. if you are sending heating water round a rad when that romm does not request heating it is a waste. if you use a gate valve(usaually a lock shield in my experience!) then in high demand the boiler is heating water then wasting it round a small loop therefore an auto by-pass will be closed in such cases and not waste water.
boiler manufacturers are interested in making the system and boiler safe and therefore any by pass will do for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting Thermostatic Rad Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock