Discuss double check valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumdum

i know a check valve is a one way valve which has a ball bearing in it.
but what is a double check valve?

Hi. Some do. Double check is two single joined together but to make it easy they manufacture as one fitting

so a double check valve is a valve with two one-way valves.
isn't this a bit overkill.
where would you install this instead of a single check valve?

Regulations vary between England/Wales/Scotland/NI, for example the Scottish regulations always seem to say "A double check valve" should be fitted.

Al

A bath or washbasin tap (domestic) with a submerged inlet or inadequate air gap;

a garden tap to which hose connection can be made;

a flexible hose with spray or jet that can reach a basin, bath, or shower tray (Category 3 risk).

All these situations would need double checkvalves fitted to comply with the Regs.

so a double check valve is a valve with two one-way valves.
isn't this a bit overkill.
where would you install this instead of a single check valve?

depends on the risk.
its not just two singles but locks water in the middle of the two one ways which coul re enter th mains water system with a single

there are more sophisticated non returns than a double check valve such as an RPZ valve, used on cat 4 if i recall correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to double check valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I...
Replies
Views
G
Hi, I have recently had a water board inspection This is what the report said about the filling loop on our press unit for a biomass boiler…...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Is this set up correct: Attic stop valve turns off the cold water to my bathroom (I think it is the rising main in the attic which...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
Back