Discuss controls for moving bathroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kev999

Hi everyone,

Couldn't decide if this regs-related question should be in the 'water regs' or 'general' forum - apologies if this isn't the right place..

I'm intending to move my bathroom into an adjacent room (on the same outside wall); I'd worked out that the distance from the soil stack to the new WC location would be (just) under 6m, so there'd be no extension of drains needed, and by good luck I could even just extend/replace the existing branch without having to alter the (cast iron) soil stack itself - so all 'seemed' good to go without approval being needed.

Then I began to hear other views on this. It could be that a WC is a controlled appliance needing approval to move, that even lengthening the soil branch (without touching the drains/services) needs approval, and/or that I may even need building approval to move a bathroom anyway! :(

Sigh. This is part of a larger re-arrangement of rooms that I've been working on for years and is now nearly finished - so I'm 'a bit committed' to doing it by this stage! I'm also intending to sell the house at some point, and want to avoid the lack of any approvals causing problems.

Does anyone know if I really do need approval? If so, are they recent requirements? (my alterations began back in 2000, so maybe I could fudge it a bit if they're new). Failing that, can any professionals self-certify this type of work or does it have to be a local authority inspection job?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

Hi,

just in case anyone else wants a similar answer, I think I found the info here - http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/water-regulations/1834-bathroom-water-regs.html. It wasn't that I couldn't find stuff like this on the forum (there was actually quite a bit) its just that there also seemed to be quite a lot of disagreement. However this post seems fairly authoritive and wasn't followed by much contradiction so I guess thats that.

Can't really see that the relocation of a controlled fitting in a new room would entirely pass as 'routine maintenance' with only 'minor work' on the SVP.. Oh well. Sad thing is, I conciensiously spent some time on local authority websites, and the only thing I came up with was not to extend the sewer pipes without notification - bit 'over simplified' maybe.

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit confusing isn't it.

But according WRAS I don't think your doing anything that needs notification on the Plumbing side providing you follow the water and Bldg regs.

Okay changing the use of a room may require permission and underground drainage might.

The thing is, like with every other regulation, if you breach it your in the wrong. So that means you have got to follow the regs and to do that, you have got to know what they are. Fortunately the guide to all the Bldg regs are all on HMSO site and can be download for free.

If its still not clear, ring the Building control office and tell them what you propose to do and they will tell you if they need to know or not.

But if you have got anything electrical in the bathroom you might be falling foul of Bldg Reg Part P if you touch it.

Hi Bernie, thanks for that - very helpful.

Yes, it is a bit confusing - I think the problem is that to make sure I got it right I tried to check on the regs regarding the various practical aspects of what I was intending, particularly with the plumbing/WRAS type stuff, and overlooked the wider issues such as changing the use of the room and moving the WC being (apparently) notifiable in building regs. The notifiability of extending the soil branch seems a bit open to interpretation, but I guess I am intending quite a long extension so it probably wouldn't be viewed very charitably should the local building bods get involved at any point.

Yes, Part P is another issue - it came in after I began my rather lengthy alterations but before I finished them. Fortunately I heard rumours of it coming in and did 'most' of the wiring (to the current standards) ready, before I magically became an incompetent person! There are bound to be small things still needed though.

Guess its going to be all or nothing really - either notify and expect to involve the powers that be in all the approvals that relate to a new bathroom, or just don't go there at all. I can't really see them dealing with the WC/controlled-appliance without starting to question other things like who certified the extractor fan wiring..

Thanks again,
Kev

As a matter of interest, is the proposed new bathroom on the same floor as the
original.

Part P - Oly applies on new installations, In your case Part P (17th addition DOES aply) If the cables where there B4 last June when part P came in, then theys nowt to worry about!! If you get what I mean:D

Hmm!

Err! One point but not Plumbing related. You may have to inform Building Control for compliance with the Building Regs.

The simple reason is that wooden floors are weight related, in other words you can only load them at a rate of so many pounds per square foot. A Bathroom floor in an existing house would have had the loading calculated as a Bathroom. But if you move the Bathroom somewhere else in the house you are actually deemed as having a change of use for the room your putting it in. And that room may not have been checked for permissible loading weight.

In simple language, usually in a Bathroom the joists are shorter between walls and they are closer together than in a bedroom. This of course gives them a greater weight loading. The Bldg's Regs, Structure Doc A, will tell you somewhere or other all about it.
The Building Control come around just to make sure the bath plus the water, and the person, when together, don't fall through the ceiling and on to your head.

Come on now boy's, it ain't rocket science. :) :)

Hi all,

sorry for the delay in replying, been away.

Yes, it will remain on the same floor - am just moving it to the room next door.

Yes, the cables are already there (unless any plans change and need alterations, anyway). I'd thought the 17th came in a few years ago for some reason, so thats good news.

I take the point about the joist loading - yes the current bath is supported on joists that just span the stair-well, and those in the new room are a lot longer. I'll definately check up on that one!

Thanks to all for your replies - been a very great help!

Cheers
Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to controls for moving bathroom? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock