Discuss Conservatory radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nicko

In the winter my conservatory/kids playroom gets very cold and requires a portable oil filled heater to warm it up before the kids can play in it - sometimes I forget to put the timer plug on so I get shouted at by the mrs!I have been thinking of getting a rad fitted to reduce the abuse, by hooking up to the existing system. What should I be aware of before I do this? ie how do I know if the system can cope with another rad etc? Cheers for any feedback/comments

lots of variables nick, boiler capacity, distance from existing pipework, size of conservatory ?

Another problem could be whether its micro bore. Had a similar problem in my house, upstairs was always hot and the lounge was freezing. To cure the problem, re-newed the rads upstairs to modern type, correctly sized them, then put trv's on them and basically forced the water downstairs now I'm toastie.

HOWEVER, I still get moaned at because I won't let my missus put the heating on til dec....

Ya best bet is to put a heat pump air conditioner in ya conservatory which will cost less to run if ya want to heat it in the winter than an oil filled radiator and then you can keep it nice and cool in the summer to.

I have done a few rads in conservatorys but I was led to believe from another forum that it was a no no as it wasnt complient to building regs due to the amount of heat loss.:confused:

I have done a few rads in conservatorys but I was led to believe from another forum that it was a no no as it wasnt complient to building regs due to the amount of heat loss.:confused:

I heard the same to. I have a near neighbour who has put one in but wasnt aware of the bldg regs rumour - anyone out ther support or refute the urban myth?

Checked my copy of building regs and found this:

Conservation of fuel and power​
Approved Document L1B

L1B​
GUIDANCE RELATING TO BUILDING WORK

Where it is proposed to upgrade, then the standards
set out in this Approved Document are cost
effective and should be implemented in full. It
will be worthwhile implementing them even if the
improvement is more than necessary to achieve
compliance. In some cases therefore, the standard
of the extended house may be better than that
required by paragraph 20 alone. Paragraph 21
ensures that no cost-effective improvement
opportunities are traded away.​
Conservatories and substantially
glazed extensions​
22​
Where the extension is a conservatory that is
not exempt by Regulation 9(3)
14, then reasonable
provision would be to provide:
a. Effective thermal separation from the heated
area in the existing
dwelling. The walls, doors
and windows between the
dwelling and the
extension should be insulated and draughtstripped
to at least the same extent as in the
existing
dwelling.

If a highly glazed extension is not thermally
separated from the​
dwelling, then it should be
regarded as a conventional extension. Compliance
in such cases could be demonstrated using the
approach set out in paragraphs 14 to 21.

b. Independent temperature and on/off controls
to any heating system. Any heating appliance
should also conform to the standards set out
in paragraph 35.
c. Glazed elements should comply with the
standards given in column (b) of Table 2 and
any thermal elements should have U-values
that are no worse than the standards given in
column (b) of Table 4.​
Conservatories built at ground level and with
a floor area no greater than 30m
2 are exempt
from the Building Regulations (other than having
to satisfy the requirements of Part N).

24​
If a substantially glazed extension fails to
qualify as a
conservatory because it has less than
the minimum qualifying amounts of translucent
material, but otherwise satisfies paragraph 22,
reasonable provision would be to demonstrate that
the performance is no worse than a
conservatory

of the same size and shape. A way of doing so
would be to show the area-weighted U-value of
the elements in the proposed extension is no
greater than that of a​
conservatory that complies

with the standards set out in paragraph 22.

So I think the highlighted bit means that conservatorys under 30m2 are exempt???? Or I could be wrong...... Why can't they write these things so it's simple and easy to understand?

I.e You CAn do this or you CANT do that!

Or am I just dumb?????:confused:

yes your right less than 30m2 does not reqiure building regulation control this is not my opinion it is a fact throughout the building regs

Would recommend running the flow return back to the boiler as opposed to tapping into system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Conservatory radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm really stuck with an issue I have with our soliud fuel back boiler system and my novice understanding is pretty much out of ideas so...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an...
Replies
Views
I am a homeowner after some advice about power flushing a central heating system with microbore pipes that seem to be blocked. When I switched...
Replies
Views
We have a Glowworm BBU56F (back boiler). Its well-maintained/serviced and since we’ve been in the property (15 years) only the Thermocouple was...
Replies
Views
Hi I've just had a bit of work done in the house where we knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room. This wall had radiators...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock