Discuss Confused about different types of radiator materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you all so much for all your replies...I've read them all, but am still confused! my mum's going to speak to a technition from nu heat tomorrow, so hopefully we'll have some answers then. thanks!

i took about thirty brass towel rails out of gt ormond st hospital about 5 years ago and they had been on the hot water circuit for 70 years no sign of any corrosion any brass or copper towel rail can go on the hot water circuit
its the cheapy ladders that are normally made of chromed steel you cant use

thieving blighter, no wonder the kiddies are cold:eek: seriously, the advice came straight out of a text book and having seen the sate of some 2 yr old modern gate valves on hw circuits i wouldnt use a modern brass rad, your 70 years old items where made properly back then remember:)

Hmm!

It seems to be true that stuff is not made as good today as it was years ago. I thought at one time it was me getting a bit older. But apparently not if washing machines are anything to go by.
By now they should have been able to make a washing machine that hardly ever breaks down. The thing is, it seems they break down even before the 12 months guarantee is out.

One explanation is that to keep costs down they use untried pcb's if they are cheaper than the ones they use now. I think Potterton got into a lot of trouble over using cheap pcb's in one of their boilers not so long ago. I don't think the same applies to boilers though as I can understand up to point that washing machines manufacturers try to keep prices down and instead of being around the ÂŁ200 mark as many are, built to older standards they would be more like ÂŁ600 and people would not buy them.

Boilers however are not cheap, they just seem to be overpriced.

You have to look carefully at what sales people say, sometimes I suppose it may just be a cheap added component on the pcb that does something or other new and they charge a fortune for it.

Lets not kid ourselves boiler development hasn't really improved much in the last ten years I don't think. Its about time we started getting reliability out of boilers, not told its got new ge gaws, and you can get .000001% more efficiency out of them, you may be able to get that if you turned out the standby light, when you shut the boiler down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Confused about different types of radiator materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock