Search the forum,

Discuss Basin Hot & Cold Poor Water Pressure Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

luca

I engaged a qualified plumber to re-pipe the hot and cold sides to british convention (hot on the LHS & cold on the RHS) for my thermostatic bath shower mixer which were piped the wrong way around by an unqualified plumber.

To do so the qualified plumber removed the 22ml copper piping and replaced this with flexible hoses. Prior to the work commencing the isolation tap to my property was closed and the mains feed (Ball-o-Fix Valve) to my thermal store was closed. Once everything was turned back on the thermostatic bath shower mixer was functional but the hot & cold water pressure coming out of the basin sink reduced substantially. The hot side is slightly stronger than the cold side.

Before the qualified plumber commenced work the pressure was extremely strong on both the hot & cold sides of the basin tap & in fact from every tap source within the flat due to my thermal store.

What could have gone wrong to drop the hot and cold water pressures at my basin tap source? The plumber did not engage in any fundamental plumbing works on the day.

The only thing I can think of is when you turn on the isolation on and off sometimes you get a bit of air build up in the pipework of which when you first turn a tap back on this rushes to the pipe exit. Could this burst of air dislodge some grit & be blocking the piping leading to the basin pipework taps?

Note I had a bathroom installation done by an unqualified plumber prior of which “mastic” was found in some of the pipework under my basin sink causing a very poor water flow from the basin tap. Once it was removed the water flow from the basin tap was restored to a strong flow rate on both hot & cold sides.

Could further mastic still be stuck in the basin pipework somewhere? If so how does one remove it and or can one use some type of drainage chemical to pour down the basin sink to dissolve the mastic?

My Ball-o-Fix Valves are engaged fully on the hot and cold basin pipes & so is my isolation tap. I have a brand new mono basin mixer tap.

Let me know. Thanks

Is there a filter on the end of the basin tap spout, first thing to do is check that?

Check what size flexi's are running to the bath mixer they might have very small bore :)

Can't be anything to do with the plumber's work JimmyB as he only worked on bath mixer which is fine.

I'd go with filter idea - seen that a few times. Sounds very much like localised blockage, usually gets as far as filter then stops.

Can't be anything to do with the plumber's work JimmyB as he only worked on bath mixer which is fine.

I'd go with filter idea - seen that a few times. Sounds very much like localised blockage, usually gets as far as filter then stops.

Re-read the post waterTight - i read it wrong :(

I unscrewed the tap head & the circular filter sprout was completely full of grit. The water pressure on both the hot & cold sides has now been restored to how it was - full force !! This link shows the tap I have: [DLMURL="http://www.grandtaps.co.uk/products/prod_81372-Basin-mixer-tap-101.html"]Basin Mixer Tap (101) Square Design - SD Range - Grand Taps UK[/DLMURL]

Excluding the localized drainage issue which has just been cleared by myself should this happen again due to the mastic being found in my pipework which was the size of a small golf ball previously, is there a chemical which can be poured down the basin sink to dissolve the mastic? I read on another blog petrol could dissolve it but don’t fancy pouring this into my drains. Perhaps there is another solvent name someone could recommend & where to purchase it?

Thanks for everyones input to date. Much appreciated !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
anything you pour down the basin that can eat away mastic could very well eat away something sealing the pipework, i would remove the basin trap and see what is inside.

is the basin waste running away well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basin Hot & Cold Poor Water Pressure Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
hello all, happy new year! i hope i have posted this in the right section i have a shower bar mixer. the shower runs luke warm. a quick google search showed some ideas on how to adjust it. i tried adjusting it and it didn't change the temp. when i adjusted it the other way to test the cold...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock