Search the forum,

Discuss shower bar mixer not producing hot water in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

hello all, happy new year!

i hope i have posted this in the right section

i have a shower bar mixer. the shower runs luke warm. a quick google search showed some ideas on how to adjust it. i tried adjusting it and it didn't change the temp. when i adjusted it the other way to test the cold, it was freezing cold. i wanted to find out how to get it hot. as an FYI, all other water facilities run piping hot, from kitchen sink to hand basins. this is the only one that doesn't. also i felt the inlet pipe of the bar mixer and that was hot. so it must be the bar mixer. any ideas on how to adjust

thanks

Last edited:
New bar mixer or if you know the make a new thermostatic cartridge

combi boiler ?

Run the shower and run a basin tap just flowing does the boiler stay fired and shower hot ?
hello Shaun, yes the boiler stays fired but no temp change with the shower. i ran the shower on it own and the boiler fires up, just while i was checking. my boiler pressure gauge on the boiler is just above 1bar and the hot water dial is in the middle (number 3 out of 7)

hello Shaun, yes the boiler stays fired but no temp change with the shower. i ran the shower on it own and the boiler fires up, just while i was checking. my boiler pressure gauge on the boiler is just above 1bar and the hot water dial is in the middle (number 3 out of 7)

Sounds definitely like a shower issue might be best to buy a whole new unit and swap it eg bristan zing

Hi all update:
I got a refund from Victoria plumbing and I bought another shower. I just unpacked the box to check the contents. I noticed the shower bar mixer has the opposite orientation to the old one. It clearly indicates hot on left and cold on right, Which is fine. However the flow control is on the left side (hot) and the temp control is on the right side (cold) Is this correct? My previous one above was the other way around

Thanks

That’s the standard layout could be the old vp one was from a different country

thanks Shaun, UPDATE: new shower installed! no issues. heat of shower water definitely improved compared to the previous. however, still not piping hot like the rest of the house. don't get me wrong, i'm not talking about scalding hot! and this shower does produce hot water, but for me, just missing that little bit. funny enough the hand held shower comes hot hotter! i tried to adjust the thermostat on the bar mixer, but it didn't do much. However, maybe that's the best it will be.

Are the flow rates the same as the other taps I only ask as you say the hand held is hotter so it could be down to the boiler max flow rate(and temp rise) now in winter etc

how can i determine this? i have a Worcester bosch greenstar 30 CDI

Test the flow out of each eg known capacity container eg 5 litres

Let’s say it takes 30 seconds to fill that 5 litre container up so that’s 0.1667 litres per second times by 60 gives you 10 litres per min

Test the flow out of each eg known capacity container eg 5 litres

Let’s say it takes 30 seconds to fill that 5 litre container up so that’s 0.1667 litres per second times by 60 gives you 10 litres per min
Hello Shaun, i did it slightly different. i measured the amount of water in 6 seconds and x by 10

i did one downstairs and one upstairs. i got 0.9-0.95 in six seconds (just under a litre) which makes 9-9.5 litres a minute

And out the rain head ?

And out the rain head ?
hello Shaun please see my findings:

hand basin next to the shower : 4L a min
hand held shower attachment: 5L a min
rainfall shower: 1L a min!

note: even though the hand basin is lower than the rest of house it can run piping hot, and as its a smaller basin, i like the flow as otherwise it will just splash everywhere when you put your hand under.

thanks

Would say your method is off as 1lpm through the rain head is wrong

If you restrict the rain head does it get hotter eg don’t open it fully 3/4 etc

If you restrict the rain head does it get hotter eg don’t open it fully 3/4 etc
Hi Shaun well this is strange:
1/4 turn shower gets hot for about 20 secs then backs off slightly. it feels like its just about to get hotter to piping but backs itself off
1/2 turn: same
3/4 turn: same
full on: gets hot for about 20 seconds, but backs off to warm!

so it seems that the shower is "regulating" the temp itself?

Hi Shaun well this is strange:
1/4 turn shower gets hot for about 20 secs then backs off slightly. it feels like its just about to get hotter to piping but backs itself off
1/2 turn: same
3/4 turn: same
full on: gets hot for about 20 seconds, but backs off to warm!

so it seems that the shower is "regulating" the temp itself?

Can you advise make and model you’ve bought ?

Have you got a thermometer ? That you could check the temp ?

hi Shaun, i had a thought. has boiler pressure got anything to do with it? when i got the loft extension in 2020/21 i think my boiler was set to 1.5bar. then i had some radiator work done, including a power flush and it was set at 1.2. i remember the plumber saying that 1.2-1.5 is fine. however, then the shower was out of action and i just kept it at 1.2 ever since. now shower is back, i'm wondering if bar pressure needs reviewing. it's around 1.1 at the moment

No above 1 bar is fine either way

Your shower is limited to 48dc with tolerance so about 10dc higher than body temp does that feel about right ?

Degrees c

Reply to shower bar mixer not producing hot water in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock