Discuss what would cause a copper hot water storage cylinder to collapse? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marty32

Evening all

Just looking for some scenarios so I don't ending up making any mistakes out in the field?

Cheers

Mar

Never seen it happen but I suppose if the cold feed and vent were frozen and you drew off water the negative pressure created could allow the cylinder to collapse.

Collapse ,
cant say ever heard of it happening to be honest , as mountain man says a possible scenario or another would be an fat plumber leaning on it!

Wasn't there a thread discussing this not too long ago? Something related to draining a tank and changing the immersion heater.

Never seen it happen but I suppose if the cold feed and vent were frozen and you drew off water the negative pressure created could allow the cylinder to collapse.
I'm not sure you'd get the required pressure from just drawing water off (though I'm not saying it can't happen). I think it's more likely to happen as the water in a bunged cylinder cools.

Possibly, but it is atmospheric pressure that collapses the cylinder so it wouldn't take much of a differential pressure to do some damage to a copper cylinder.

U can blow the bow in the bottom out by leeting someone in to cap off the vent and replace it with a auto air vent

Saw this happen when i was an apprentice many moons ago,un-froze the expansion and re-filled,it opened up again but with a load of creases,it made everyone laugh in the brew cabin for many a year

Cheers Scorps, you've validated that my one remaining brain cell is still working :)

I've seen one split where the open vent and feed had frozen and the boiler came on. Made a right mess. After fitting a new cylinder it took me hours to defrost the pipework in the loft to fill and test the new cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what would cause a copper hot water storage cylinder to collapse? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
Hi all. This ‘valve’ is at the bottom of our domestic hot water cylinder. Anyone have any idea what it is please? It must’ve been there for many...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock