Discuss URGENT help required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Akkarin

Hello!

Firstly, I realise that this may not completely be the correct forum to post this in - sorry for that! Unfortunately, I only have a couple of days to put my offer in on the property, so I need an answer pretty soon and being a bank holiday weekend, it's difficult to get an expert's opinion.

My problem is this;
I am planning on buying an apartment, and have found the perfect one - great location, perfect size, amazing price. However, while we went to view the property today, the estate agent person mentioned something in passing - he said that someone had pulled out the gas flue (flu? floo?). At the time I didn't know what he was taking about and through the commotion (the rest of the family was there too), I forgot all about it.
I went back later today and I think I found what he was talking about. I have included the following images;

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb382/_DeadPixels_/Photo085.jpg

To compare with the one above;

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb382/_DeadPixels_/Photo086.jpg

Now, this property is being sold by a bank and for some unexplained reason, the apartment is being sold for a 1/3 LESS than an almost identical apartment in the same block (unfortunately above my budget). This does make me wonder.

Well, I need to know if the above poses a problem, and if so, to what an extent? I don't mind getting it fixed if it only costs a few thousand to repair, but if it's a problem that will cost tens of thousands, I will have to look for a different property.
Would anyone be able to point me to where or whom to ask?

Thank you very much for reading!

the flu is a problem looks like it was to close to alarm box and possibly damaging it
can be easily sorted by using a plume kit as im presumimg its a condensing combi boiler
should not cost to much to sort

they seem to have put in a new flu and made a mess of it not to MIs

From the picture just a plume kit and a bit of bricking up needed. Whats the flue like on top of the boiler though? if the faults in your picture are the only problems then its not a massive job

even if you got a new boiler fitted it's likley to cost less than a few thousand.
If the flat is 1/3 underpriced I'd be looking for what else is wrong - they say there's no such thing a sa free lunch !

Thanks for the fast responses - I'm a bit slow... sorry!

It's a reposession

Also, none of us saw the boiler and the man only said that the flu was pulled out.

What would be the point in pulling it out, though, as it looks like sabotage?

From the info you given I'd say an engineer has ID it for the flu problem
Easily fixed if that is the only problem if you give the area I'm sure someone on here can get it sorted for you

Thanks for the fast responses - I'm a bit slow... sorry!

It's a reposession

Also, none of us saw the boiler and the man only said that the flu was pulled out.

What would be the point in pulling it out, though, as it looks like sabotage?

If its a reposession I would get a GSR engineer to have an indepth look at all your central heating system, gas supply, water supply and plumbing. Having worked in social housing for many years I have been to numerous properties to cap off meters as they where now void only to find many problems all over the place. then when you phoned the office to tell them that there where many problems they would tell you it was a reposession/eviction.

Quite understandably people don't like being kicked out of their home and some of them cause major damage to the property especially the water works. I would check to see if the stop tap has been turned off, if it has then I would be careful when you turn it back on.

is thier no where on the boiler or some where in the paper work the name of the person /company who put it in surlythey should
come back and fix it

Worst case would be a new boiler. New 'A' rated combi, supplied and fitted, you're probably talking £2000 at most and if it's done by a reputable company, they should be able to give the rest of the place a once over and advise you of any potential problems elsewhere.

The boiler has been fitted by the owner/dave down the pub, instead of cutting the flue down to the correct lenghth hes just put the full "uncut length through the wall. or somone has pulled the flue off the boiler although if they had done that the occupants of the flat would probably be dead by now.
2.5k worst case cenario for a new boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to URGENT help required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Having the layout on the ground floor reworked, the plans to do so included moving the internal vertical soil pipe on the ground floor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, This may be a slightly lengthy one, but i'm having a seriously rough time with a bad leak in the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've looked through old threads on similar questions, however i was hoping for advice regarding our house project. When i've read threads...
Replies
Views
We have a Glowworm BBU56F (back boiler). Its well-maintained/serviced and since we’ve been in the property (15 years) only the Thermocouple was...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock