Search the forum,

Discuss Two smells for the price of one! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Questions about smells commonly asked here but never seem to get much of a conclusive answering. Probably because it's quite an investigative process?

Two problems: One smell for me, one for neighbour.

1. Me: Downstairs bathroom. Contains: Toilet, basin, shower.
Shower is never used, basin and toilet used daily. Sewer/drains smell appears, various times of day. Not pinned it down to relating to times when other appliances in house used yet. But I think it seems to be more likely to occur after a period when that room has not been entered. Like overnight. The toilet pan has water in it at a normal level. Is my next course of action to undo basin trap and check it has water in it? Could it be seldom-used shower? How do I check that trap is full without removing base? Or should I just pour lots of water down it?

2. I replaced a toilet for my neighbour. When I did, the new one revealed explanding foam that had been sprayed around where the waste-pipe went down into the tiles. He has since cut away at it (entriely of his own decision and without consulting me) and now complains he can smell sewer smells. What do you think the foam was doing then? Sealing a poor connection between plastic pipe and something under tiles like clay? And what would be the solution because I said I'd have a look...

Thanks chums!

Edit: He asked whether we could put grout down to seal it up again...Would that work? It's quite a big gap apparently, not been round to see.

Last edited:
First action would be to pour some water into the shower trap. Probably all it requires.

Hmm!

You would have to know the system properly first. Have a look at the Building Regs to see how it should be done and then compare how yours differs, then try to make it come as close as you can to the Building Regs.

Traps do dry out, but how long it takes for them to do so, depends on all kinds of things such as temperature and so on.

Also if you have a lot of Air Admittance valves instead of vents in the system they can trap drain gases. I think sometimes people forget drainage systems require venting.

Sounds like your trap seals have gone, maybe through self siphonage,compression ect, check to see if your traps have seals by dipping it in to the traps, not sure but think that you need about 50mm of water to act as the seal

its 25mm. ive got problem where the customer can smell a faustiness or damp i couldnt find a leak so i think it could possilbly be the seals

is their actualy a vent pipe as i was at a house recently that was having random smells now and again and the only place it was vented was by the sh*t tank the one on the house had been capped off for some reason, took the cap off and they have not had any problems since

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe as you are neighbours i assume you have the same layout ie ground floor bathrooms , that both wc outlets were sealed the same way and need resealig correctly .(just a thought);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Two smells for the price of one! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock