Currently reading:
smelly toilet water

Discuss smelly toilet water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jands

Hi I have had a toilet replaced in downstairs loo. The clean water in the bowl gets smellier the longer it is left. When I am cleaning the toilet the cloth which has been put in the water in the toilet bowl stinks. Seems like am getting smells back from the pipe . The water level is fine in the toilet. Please help!

Hi. That what you describe defies logic, not to mention physics. A closer inspection of the installation may help in identifying the problem.

are you sure the smell isn't coming from a basin trap, which may be syphoned off by a replaced toilet with a more powerful/efficient flush

KJ

If the water supply is tank fed rather than mains has anything fallen in your storage tank in the loft (and died) ?

I understand what u are all saying. other water and toilets r ok so cant be anything in tank. The soil pipe looks as though it goes straight out the wass as i can't c any type of 'u bend' could this cause the smell ?

If there was a problem in the header tank then whether you noticed it elsewhere would depend. I suspect all your cold water taps are mains fed and any water going into the hotwater cistern would be heated and drive off odours. I take it that the toilet flushes away Ok

I take it you are using a clean new cloth ;)

a u bend wouldn't make any difference! as long as your poop flushes away and your left with water in the bowl then odours cant enter the bathroom from the toilet. it has to be (as suggested before) a blown water trap seal on a basin in the same room or a dead pigeon in the header tank.

KJ

a u bend wouldn't make any difference! as long as your poop flushes away and your left with water in the bowl then odours cant enter the bathroom from the toilet. it has to be (as suggested before) a blown water trap seal on a basin in the same room or a dead pigeon in the header tank.

KJ
Thanks so much
Can you now tell me where the water trap seal is - and do you mean of the wash basin in the same room?
J

yeah the basin in the same room!
get a chopstick or something similar which you can stick down the holes in the basin plughole. flush toilet, then insert it in the plug hole until you reach the bottom, pull it out and see if it is wet. if it is then the water seal is intact, if it is dry then the the flushing toilet is sucking the basin trap seal out and you will need an anti syphon trap for the basin.

if it is wet then it w/c is probably gonna be fed from a cistern in the loft, check this by turning off your water at the stop tap, usually under kitchen sink. flush bog and if the cistern fills up again then it is fed from loft and A LIKELY CULPRIT WILL BE A DEAD PIGEON.

KJ

Thanks so much will try and will get back to you! Appologies for being SO basic in the plumbing dept!

yeah the basin in the same room!
get a chopstick or something similar which you can stick down the holes in the basin plughole. flush toilet, then insert it in the plug hole until you reach the bottom, pull it out and see if it is wet. if it is then the water seal is intact, if it is dry then the the flushing toilet is sucking the basin trap seal out and you will need an anti syphon trap for the basin.

if it is wet then it w/c is probably gonna be fed from a cistern in the loft, check this by turning off your water at the stop tap, usually under kitchen sink. flush bog and if the cistern fills up again then it is fed from loft and A LIKELY CULPRIT WILL BE A DEAD PIGEON.

KJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to smelly toilet water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock