Search the forum,

Discuss Seal in Cistern - best method to fix it - PLS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cheryl Kirkham

I noticed last night the cistern filling constantly. After a bit of investigating, it looks like the builders had sealed the flush mechcanism to the citern with mastic which has now perished in the water. (ball cock and flush mech's are all working fine)

Which is the best product to seal it all back up again - i have got some evo stick plumbers mate will this work ?
I'm not sure i'll get a mastic gun to the bottom as its a bit tight.

Its drying out at the mo & i have a second loo so not a rush job :O)

Many Thanks in advance
Cheryl

thank you stevetheplumber

There in lies the problem (licensed cowboy builders - they used mastic for everything !!) ... so i really need to dismantle the whole thing and replace with correct / new rubber washers ? I suppose there are not standard sizes ?

Hi Cheryl,

If you nip into your local plumbers merchants they might have a spare washer (usually 2") lying around otherwise you will probably have to buy a new flush valve. If its a handle type flush these are only around ÂŁ10 - ÂŁ12. Before fitting the new one make sure you clean off all the mastic or silicon they used. Patience and a sharp blade usually required.

If it's a close coupled wc make sure you fit a new doughnut washer between the pan and the cistern.

Good luck.

Sometimes leaks are caused by blue toilet blocks which rot the rubber seals

Thanks Paul - went to the merchants - they confirmed washer's weren't worn... so slapped mastic on the leaky bit (this was on part of the unit fixed to the cistern) All OK :) then the blanking plug and water inlet started to leak !!!

I need to replace the whole the cistren as it cracked (more mastic) where they cracked it screwing it to the wall !! - thats for another day...it dosen't rain but it pours - excuse the pun !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seal in Cistern - best method to fix it - PLS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am just about to move into a new build property. I took the water meter readings and they read 000000,620 I had a look around the property like you do and used the toilet. When I flushed it the water kept trickling into the toilet and not into the cistern. The cistern is built...
Replies
Views
S
Hello, Please can anyone help me identify what brand/model of flush valve this is? It looks rather distinctive, but I can't find out what it is for the life of me. There is a small but constant stream of water into the toilet bowl from the cistern, which it noisily tries to refill. If you...
Replies
Views
S
Hi folks, hoping someone can offer some advice regarding the above! just got home from a 2 week holiday last night to discover the toilet isn't flushing anymore. I did a bit of investigation and think I've found the source of the problem. Our toilet is a concealed plastic cistern with a blue...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would be grateful for advice regarding how I can recharge a water hammer arrestor. Background: Just over 2 and a half years ago the old gravity system in my medium sized 3 bed semi was converted to a pressure combi-boiler system by British Gas. Immediately after this I experienced water...
Replies
Views
A
Hi we have an old dual flush toilet which keeps filling. When you flush the loo the water empties from the cistern then stops running but comes out again as the cistern doesn't stop filling up when the ball cock rises. We have taken out the middle bit and looked at the seal but can't seem to...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock