Discuss Dual flush toilet keeps filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

achillea

Hi

we have an old dual flush toilet which keeps filling. When you flush the loo the water empties from the cistern then stops running but comes out again as the cistern doesn't stop filling up when the ball cock rises. We have taken out the middle bit and looked at the seal but can't seem to find the problem. Since putting it back the cistern overfills again but only for about 30 seconds then stops. Clearly an improvement but not ideal - we are not plumbing savvy so any advice if this can be simply repaired would be great. Failing that I'll have to get a plumber in.

Here is a photo:

_DSC1955.JPG

Many thanks

The fill valve( the component on the right) washer is passing. Turn off supply and replace washer, or purchase new fill valve and replace complete unit.

flush valve is working , its the filling valve which needs to be checked. water coming to toilet pan is the overflow. check if you have service valve somewhere near the toilet to shut the water. then you can try to unscrew that plastic nut you see on the beginning of the arm on the right, there is a rubber diaphragm and plastic orifice, check if there is no limescale which could cause valve not shutting properly. good luck

Many thanks for the advice - will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

cheers.

As Dancin says, get a plumber in. He'll have the parts to repair it/renew it in his stock, you'll get a warranty from him and it will save you in the long run as your own attempts at a repair may in fact make matters worse (and more expensive to repair).

Tried to get a replacement washer but after visiting 3 plumbers merchants none had it in stock or anything close to it. Ended up buying a complete new filling valve (Fluidmaster Float Valve for ÂŁ10) - seems to have done the trick... fingers crossed!

Very pleased we have fixed it ourselves as have had a bad run of plumbers doing various jobs here in Tonbridge and have completely lost faith in the profession's ability to a) not rip us off b) do a quality job and c) take responsibility when its their fault things have gone wrong ...... (present company accepted of course!).

pip pip

glad you got sorted in the end. you have a very good float valve there, should last you years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dual flush toilet keeps filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a 1980's toilet and it normaly works by: 1.When flushed the deposit in the bowl is sucked out 2. the bowl fills up again with clean water...
Replies
Views
Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have a Cersanit close coupled toilet which as started leaking between the cistern and the bowl when flushed. I've taken the cistern...
Replies
Views
We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a dual flush toilet that's leaking water from the cistern to the bowl. I've taken the flush system out cleaned the washer of gunk...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock