Discuss replacing 'g-rated' old boiler and fitting solar hw at same time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gdnumber2

Hi all, I've recently worked out I should be replacing my old boiler, but am a bit confused by all the options out there.

I've currently got a ten+ year old Saunier Duval boiler which heats water and stores it in a tank in the airing cupboard. There's a cold water tank in the loft of the house, although I'm not sure if that feeds the boiler, or if the boiler draws directly from the mains. This boiler is making some pretty funny noises these days, but it still works so I've got a bit of time to work out the right solution.

I'd like to replace it with a more modern boiler using the boiler scrappage scheme, and most people have advised me to replace the above set up with a combi boiler (I live in a flat, ground floor, and only have one bathroom, so don't need to run two showers simultaneously). However, I'd also like to put a evacuated tube solar hot water system on the roof - or at least leave the option to put one in soon if it's too expensive to do now.

So since I'm replacing everything, I need some help on what is the best type of boiler to go for (I know some combi boilers can be made to work with solar hot water, but is this the best way forward?)

Can I use the current hot water tank to store the water that will be heated by the solar tubes (am assuming yes, but not sure)?

Am I best off getting a combi boiler that can be fed by partially heated water, or a different type of boiler altogether?

Can any of this be done by an averagely handy DIYer?

Any help gratefully received, cheers...

You would really require a system boiler and solar cylinder. Some aspects can be done by a DIYer but if any of the system are unvented it will require someone with the correct qualifiactions and registration. There are plenty of resources on the internet and books in print.

Hi gdnumber2
if you are living in a flat then you will find that your cheapest and most efficient option will be a condensing combi boiler.

For the amount of water that you will be using, the cost of a new boiler, solar cylinder and panels it isnt worth the expense and the solar in reality would probably take over 20 years to pay for itself

Yes you would need a new hot water cylinder becuase it will need two coils.

fraid you wont qualify for boiler scrappage with your boiler, its too new at around 10 yrs but may be wrong, it may pass fit if it has a permanet pilot light

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to replacing 'g-rated' old boiler and fitting solar hw at same time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock