Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Problem filling tank on a dual flush toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrbud1972

Hi, I hope somebody can help. Sorry, I dont really know anything in this subject before I carry on. My toilet suddenly takes forever to fill up. It's as though the pressure has dropped right off. When I took the lid of, the tap bit where the water should come out is letting water out but its squirting it out at either corner as though maybe something is blocking the pipe or something. I havnt got a picture of it at the moment but I can post one later.
The layout of it is is on the left is a cork screw type device with a star screw on top which is all linked to the float. To the right appears to be the mechanism for locking a flush.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Martin.

Thanks for such a quick reply. I wouldnt really know where to begin although there is what looks like a plastic screw thing that I probably need a wrench type thing for.
I'll take a picture when I get and and re-post.
Thanks again,
Martin.

i went to this problem only this morning. on a bottom inlet siamp fill valve. something siezed in the stem preventing filling to the point where pressure builds and causes a fine leaking spray around the top of the valve resulting in it taking an age to fill it up.
got a replacement from toolstation 10 inch siamp valve 11.12p replaced for customer no probs

KJ

thanks. sounds spot on with the description, although is the bit u mention the long bit. hopefully 2 images attached.

Attachments

• P1010279.jpg
    P1010279.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010277.jpg
    P1010277.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 40
yep thats a siamp 10 inch bottom inlet valve in the left pic. exactly like the one i replaced yesterday and with the same fault. order from toolstation for £11.12p free next day delivery.

do you have a isolation valve fitted to the cold feed pipe? if so you can do it yourself easily.

KJ

Thanks for that. How would I know if I have an isolation valve? I'm sure a plumber stopped the water under the sink one day in the kitchen but no idea how. I know where the main water tap is. Unfortunately I've now broken the bit at the top that you press the buttons. When screwing it back down, the plastic shaft with the buttons on tore of the rest... never rains.... by the way I like the picture of somebody peeing in a sink :)

try and glue it back together, it shouldn't matter cos by the sounds of it, its the underside of the cistern lid. if this doesn't work then you are looking at replacing the flush valve also.

an isolation valve is one of these
Toolstation > Plumbing > Valves > Isolating Valve CP

if you have one it will be on the pipe that connects to the inlet valve below the w/c cistern. if you have the valve use a slotted screwdriver to turn the screw head so that it is across the pipe like a minus sign (like a minus sign - not an l) this means that the water is now isolated to the w/c.

flush the toilet and it should now not be releasing any water.
undo the nut connecting to the inlet valve then undo the plastic nut above it which holds the inlet valve in place, remove inlet valve by lifting out of the cistern and replace with the new one.

if you do not have a isolation valve just turn off the mains supply to the house. if you have a combi boiler then you can replace the valve as above.

if you have a cold water cistern in the loft you will need to run off the water through the taps before the supply is isolated. because the mains stop tap will just stop this cistern from filling NOT from emptying,

when satisfied that water is isolated by any of the above methods then just replace the valve.

KJ

oh and as for peeing in the sink, any good plumber will confirm that its a vital part of the commissioning process!;):p

when working for a awkward customer its also important to ensure you splash a bit on the landing carpet:eek:

regards

KJ

Many thanks for your time & trouble. I'll give it a go... I may be posting back soon :)
Thanks again,
Martin.

Hi, just thought i'd follow this post up. In the end I got a plumber out through my Emergency cover provided with my house insurance. Wasnt going to use it at first as I couldnt justify it as an 'emergency' but anyway they came out. In the end they just changed the washer in the siamp valve and its worked! thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem filling tank on a dual flush toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock