Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss newly replaced rads are cold? :S in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi all. i just replaced 3 rads in my folks home. the system is a 1 pipe system (never seen a 1 pipe system before) trouble is i removed 3 old rads 35yrs old if not older. anyway after replacing them one gets hot but the other 2 are barely luke warm. one pipe is hot but the other is cold and the rads aint getting hotter. could this just be a balancing problem? the old ones worked fine.

got me puzzled a bit.
all the pipework has remained the same no alterations just new rads and valves.

hope someone can help

cheers
J

all valves on?
the rads that are warm turn off one side then go check the cold ones, bleed pump bleed rads

could be a right game getting it going but best way to do it

its a one pipe system, poss air lock or sludge.
turn the pump up to full speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes when you drain old systems the pumps never seem the same or pack up completely , might be worth having a close look at the pump.:)

shut off lockshield on the hot rad and the lockshield on any other hot radiator ( i assume there are more than 3 rads in the house). When the new rads get warm, bleed em and then introduce other rads gradually.
I would say it is defo a balancing problem. Water will always take the easy route,

thanks guys. great advice,

i thought it might be more likely to be a balancing problem so after writing the first post i did go and shut off the other valves in the house. thanks for the advice it was really helpful and nice to know i was on the right tracks lol.

many thanks (once again)

James. ;)

Don't forget one pipe systems benefit from 'full bore' rad valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to newly replaced rads are cold? :S in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Evening all. I have an open vented C/H system with a heat only boiler and 10 rads over 3 floors. I checked the system mid summer and all was ok...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock