Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie to the forum and to plumbing-Hi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

30s_starter

Hi Everyone, Just signed up to the forum.....been checking the threads for a while now (while deciding whether to take the plunge into the plumbing world!). Have decided to go for it, I'm 34 with a family and know its not going to be easy, but have been thinking of it for a while and if I dont now I dont think I ever will. I have signed up to Somerset Arts and Technology college for a 2 yr evening course for the Plumbing City and Guilds level 2. Hopfuly I will be able to find a work placement in that time to then further my education to NVQ 2/3. I am hoping also to evetually pursue my interest in the solar energy field!!! From what I can gather at the mo tho plumbing is very popular and work placements might favour the younger candidate, hope not! Any how hi to everyone, I look forward to becoming a valid member of the forum, and to chat with others....Jason:)

Welcome to Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK!

Hello 30s_starter, welcome aboard www.UKPlumbersForums.co.uk. Stick around, I'm sure you'll like the place. :)

stick with it and youll get there and be prepared to work for free if need be to get experience

Hi mate

Iam a newbie to.

Iam 6 months into my level 3 after passing level 2 last year.

I've found it difficult to find work with plumbing companies but still hanging in there. Doing the odd tap repair, additional radiator to gain experience.

Good luck.

Hi mate

Iam a newbie to.

Iam 6 months into my level 3 after passing level 2 last year.

I've found it difficult to find work with plumbing companies but still hanging in there. Doing the odd tap repair, additional radiator to gain experience.

Good luck.
Hi Old Plumber and Rabrett, thanks guys. Working for free was something I thought I might have to do, cant believe i'm saying it tho Im ok with that!! I have run my own company for the last 10yrs so this big change is a big culture shock compared to what ive been used to and being prepared to work for free!!! Hey Rabrett what course are you doing C&G or NVQ? also how old are you if you dont mind me asking.

dont be to ageist there, I hit the tools at 45 and qualified finally at 49, the knees dont work, everything costs more each week, but the best bit is working for yourself and occassionally having a bunch of happy custards who reccomend you to their mates.

dont be to ageist there, I hit the tools at 45 and qualified finally at 49, the knees dont work, everything costs more each week, but the best bit is working for yourself and occassionally having a bunch of happy custards who reccomend you to their mates.
Thanks, I will hit the tools as soon as possible. The course does not start until sept so would be nice to get on with someone/company before then, even if I can give them voluntary days to start, and work around my current comitments.

Hi

Iam doing C & G, and iam the big 4 0 in June. Different to what i am used to, i worked as a branch manager for a motor factor. I love working with my hands and i get a great sense of achievement when i finish a job.

Looking to start my own bussiness any tips

Regards

Rich

Hi

If you need any help with the course, hints or tips i will be happy to help.

Regards

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Iam doing C & G, and iam the big 4 0 in June. Different to what i am used to, i worked as a branch manager for a motor factor. I love working with my hands and i get a great sense of achievement when i finish a job.

Looking to start my own bussiness any tips

Regards

Rich

Hi

If you need any help with the course, hints or tips i will be happy to help.

Regards

Rich

Thats great, thanks Rich,

can I ask why you are doing a level 3 in C&G, are you looking to do a NVQ? the reason I ask is because I was led to believe that you could go for this after doing level 2 of C&G (please excuse me if by asking seems ignorant)

A plumbing business I am imagining would run abit differently than what ive been used to, but I suppose the principles would pretty much be the same, I was given a few pointers while running my own companies and learnt some too....keep people sweet and when youve done your best too but they are still unhappy then realise you probably never would.... always do the job correctly and deliver whats promised or even better under offer and deliver more when possible....... price well and keep a close control of finances (with a good accountant or bookkeeper if poss, it could be the difference between profit and loss no matter how busy ).......... no one likes to feel a quitter but its better to turn down a job thats beyond, than take it on and get it wrong......... and probably the best advise I was given was "a bad word travels faster and further than a good one"
I could go on abit further but these are the main ones that I will decided to use if I decide to go it alone (which I probably will), oh and I think van image is important when its parked outside customers properties, so I will be spending abit on getting a professional image/look done on mine

Warm regards Jason

Hi Jason,

I have signed up at my local college to do the Tech Cert 6129 in Sept.

Could you please tell me if you have had to pay for the course?

Thanks

Andy.

Hi Jason,

Thanks

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I didnt have to pay for the tuition fees (£700), but I do the Vocational fees (£125) and the Awarding Body fees (£225), but not until sept. Im not sure if different colleges charge different fees tho.

Warm regards Jason

fees are about the same as i paid.

can I ask why you are doing a level 3 in C&G, are you looking to do a NVQ? the reason I ask is because I was led to believe that you could go for this after doing level 2 of C&G (please excuse me if by asking seems ignorant)

A plumbing business I am imagining would run abit differently than what ive been used to, but I suppose the principles would pretty much be the same, I was given a few pointers while running my own companies and learnt some too....keep people sweet and when youve done your best too but they are still unhappy then realise you probably never would.... always do the job correctly and deliver whats promised or even better under offer and deliver more when possible....... price well and keep a close control of finances (with a good accountant or bookkeeper if poss, it could be the difference between profit and loss no matter how busy ).......... no one likes to feel a quitter but its better to turn down a job thats beyond, than take it on and get it wrong......... and probably the best advise I was given was "a bad word travels faster and further than a good one"
I could go on abit further but these are the main ones that I will decided to use if I decide to go it alone (which I probably will), oh and I think van image is important when its parked outside customers properties, so I will be spending abit on getting a professional image/look done on mine

Warm regards Jason

level 2 gets you joining pipes etc and learning basic systems, level 3 puts you into designing heating systems and working with gas, the nvq side proves you can do it all on site but thngs are afoot and changing here in due course with the intro of diplomasetc. You need to train to as high a standard as possible to cope in the working world and gaining experience through other plumbers is a prerequisite of this, although maturity and experience can help get you by.
Youll still cock up whatever you do, thinking of changing my name to leaky, :eek:as i drilled through the cold main today that some diyer had buried in a wall, diagonally!!!!! :eek:cannt plan for that, it bu**ered my combi drill as well, £250 down the drain:(

Hi

It depends on your qualifications, but i had to pay full course fee's.

I have just come in from college and the tutor has told us that there is no goverment help with course fee's this year for over 18's

Hi Jason,

Thanks

Andy.

??????????? There is no tech cert in Sep? Unless they have registered you now but you start in college in Sep. have you already paid? theres alot in the news that all adult funding is being cut, will this affect how much you pay?

Originally Posted by 30s_starter

The tec cert and NVQ are both C&G

??????????? There is no tech cert in Sep? Unless they have registered you now but you start in college in Sep. have you already paid? theres alot in the news that all adult funding is being cut, will this affect how much you pay?

I sorted it with the college to start in september, unless I hear other wise and they have made a mistake!!

I dont understand ....if there is no tech cert in sept how could we do it then anyway? whether booking now or then!

I didnt know that NVQ was city and guilds as they didnt call it tech cert on the college listings, also the head of construction who gave the advise as to which route to take didnt say it as tech cert, he relayed it as C&G level 2 and NVQ 2/3...

Here are the courses I was advised to do by the head of construction...

Somerset College - Somerset College of Arts and Technology

Somerset College - Somerset College of Arts and Technology

Regards Jason

Hi Guys/Girls....

Im a newbie to the scene too!, Just started an advanced plumbers home study course with train4trades, very keen to work for myself and get out there in about two years apparently.
I apparently should be aiming for C&G and NVQ3 but can progress to NVQ2, so far ive noticed the book im reading is about stuff i already know about everyday life but being fair the course is designed for anyone even those who have never even worked ie school leavers.

Had to put the brakes on slightly as im trying to learn the bit about formulaes wow! has blown my brain but im keen to stick at it and try and work it out, Its going in but very slow, I currently work and am looking to change to be a plumber full time in time, but first step is to pass the course lolol,

Guys for you who are newbies goodluck and i hope you stick with it!

Look forward to chatting to you all at some point.

Whitenoise

Hi Guys/Girls....

Im a newbie to the scene too!, Just started an advanced plumbers home study course with train4trades, very keen to work for myself and get out there in about two years apparently.
I apparently should be aiming for C&G and NVQ3 but can progress to NVQ2, so far ive noticed the book im reading is about stuff i already know about everyday life but being fair the course is designed for anyone even those who have never even worked ie school leavers.

Had to put the brakes on slightly as im trying to learn the bit about formulaes wow! has blown my brain but im keen to stick at it and try and work it out, Its going in but very slow, I currently work and am looking to change to be a plumber full time in time, but first step is to pass the course lolol,

Guys for you who are newbies goodluck and i hope you stick with it!

Look forward to chatting to you all at some point.

Whitenoise

Welcome to the forum whitenoise,hope you find some helpful posts to help you along your way into plumbing,and good luck to you too :)

Hi Fuzzy, Ive been on to the college today to check for def if the course will be running.....If the course is not running do you have any advise on another route that might be possible to gain a full qualification into becoming a plumber? Getting abit worried now, as I thought my route was planned that suited my circumstances!!

Warm regards Jason

Been on the phone to City and Guilds.....they said that the 6129 and 6089 NVQ are being joined to provide the QCF qualifiction which will be a type of diploma. They said it was also going to be a work based assessment!! Ive got someone calling me back to give me advise on what other route will be possible for someone in my possition to become qualified. Looks like I might have to find a work placement in pumbing sooner than anticipated, either way the advisor said 4 years will still be a possible timeframe to become qualified.

Will keep the post updated, Jason

Just an update....havnt heard anything back yet from C&G. He did give me his direct number tho and said to ring him if heard nothing by next week. Also I got the direct number of the plumber at the college who said for me to call him every 2weeks to see if he has had any updates.

Checked with funding......As soon as I started winding up my company in august last year I registered as unemployed (even tho I had funds to live at that time it wasnt a prob), just as well because the college have said I will definately recieve funding because ive been registered unemployed for more than 6 months.

I have spoken to 2 plumbing firms today who knows my brother (well one of them was a 1 man band), and hopfuly something in the pipeline (no pun intended), I even offered some days voluntary.

Not sure how many posts left to be able to post in other threads...regards Jason

Just seen it on the side box...1 left!

im also a new starter, just started my course with OLCI
been doing basic plumbing for 9 years now ( showers,WC,WHB ) but thought id try and my papers, so maybe one day i could be my own boss,got through the first couple of units ok but i am also on the formulas..............WOW!
thats all i can say lol hopefully signing up to this forum i can pick up some tips and learn from the you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie to the forum and to plumbing-Hi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock