Discuss loctite 55 or hemp on shower mixer valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ojchurch

Hi, first post so I'm sure this has been covered but couldn't find through searches.

I'm fitting a shower thermostatic mixer valve. Its got female 3/4" threaded connections, I've got male 3/4" to 15mm compression fittings. The compression side is fine just not sure whether to use loctite 55 or hemp. I think I saw on one post that you couldn't use hemp on water pipes apart from heating because of microbe growth or something. Is this rubbish? Also like to know which people think is best and why. Might as well use the best method I can to hopefully avoid leaks.

I'm a sparks by trade (queue jokes) so if I've missed some obvious info let me know. Or if this has been well covered in another thread if you could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Cheers in advance.
Olly.

Just use PTFE tape.

I don't think I've fitted a shower valve with 3/4" BSP threads before, what make is it?

well i have never had a problem with loctite most threads is use it on , it also depends if your planning to drink the water from your shower head

Hi ojchurch and welcome:) its a personal preference thing mines ptfe regards turnpin

it also depends if your planning to drink the water from your shower head

Or drink the water from other taps connected to the same pipe runs throughout which particles could be free to travel.

And yeah ..are they 3/4" tails?

Just use PTFE tape.

I don't think I've fitted a shower valve with 3/4" BSP threads before, what make is it?

The shower I fitted came with bsp connectors. I ditched the connectors and bought a showerpl8te that the shower bar sust screwed onto with a rubber washer.

Just discovered locktite 55 after using ptfe for donkeys years.

It's funny stuff, not what I first thought (rolled up ptfe) but tiny fibres that are coated with a jointing compound.

I've had no problems with it thus far. I do over kill on it though...it says 6 turns on a 1/2 inch thread. Doesn't sound like enough to me, so I bung on about 12.

I've always used ptfe on shower unions. You'll be fine with that. Just remember to apply it in a clockwise direction. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to loctite 55 or hemp on shower mixer valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm in the process of refurbishing my bathroom. I'll be replacing the existing bath with a walk in shower. Will be installing a thermostatic...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
T
Hi, I'm having a new bathroom installed and having issues getting the right bath/shower set up. Shower has to be over bath as no space for a...
Replies
Views
Right, complete amateur alert... I'm fitting a Bristan recessed thermostatic dual control shower mixer. Have fitted two elsewhere in the house...
Replies
Views
Howdy I need to install a new rough in valve in my shower-bath. I bought a Delta 10000 UNBX and using the existing 1/2" copper piping was able to...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock