Search the forum,

Discuss Can I fit a thermostatic valve to a bath/shower mixer tap? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

T

TinyTina

Hi,

I'm having a new bathroom installed and having issues getting the right bath/shower set up. Shower has to be over bath as no space for a seperate one. We have kids who have baths and need it to be easy for them to rinse their hair during them. AT present we have a lovely Victorian style bath/shower mixer tap where the hand-set sits in a cradle on top of the taps - excellent for our bath needs but it isn't much good for showering as no thermostatic valve and the temperature fluctuates too much. We need a better showering set up, but the shower controls still need to be reachable from sitting in the bath so that people can rinse their hair in the bath without standing up. I would really like to keep a bath/shower mixer with hand-set in cradle and just have one with a thermostatic valve to solve the temperature fluctuation issues, and add a slider rail for when people are using it to have a shower. But I can hardly find any of these bath/shower mixers with a thermostatic valve, and none at all that I actually like the look of. So my question is, can a thermostatic valve be fitted in some way? This is the kind of thing I am looking at. Kensington Angled Bath Shower Mixer Deck Mounted (Quarter turn with White accent) | SKU KE19 | Burlington Bathrooms - https://www.burlingtonbathrooms.com/product/kensington-angled-bath-shower-mixer-deck-mounted

There seem to be a slightly greater choice of wall mounted versions - might that be practicable? (Controls could be mounted so accessible from the bath)

Otherwise they are quite an investment!

I don't think it would be practical to 'modify' a tap to incorporate a thermostatic mixer, though as per Undertrained, you could install effectively the same thing before the tap, in which case I don't think you would have so much control over the temperature range.
I would encourage you to keep looking, as there seem to be a few Victorian/Edwardian thermostatic mixer taps with hand shower attachments out there, and some modern style ones. One might take your fancy!

Last edited:
Note if on gravity eg cylinder and cold water tank sorry but you won’t win / can’t install one without installing a pump

You could add a blending valve to the pipe work to set the max temp of the hot water coming out the tap / shower from the tap.

Only issue is you bath water will also be at this temprature, and as you will be filling the bath with hotwater only, the bath will take longer to fill. This will depending on your pipe work and boiler set up, ie high or low pressure.

As for a shower rail, there are many you can get for a couple of pound and all have a standard shower bracket/fixing for the shower head, which normally hold the head via the hose, so you may need to change the hose you have on the current handset

also if the handset is heavy it might not hold in the riser rail and fall which could damage the bath.

Reply to Can I fit a thermostatic valve to a bath/shower mixer tap? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock